Primary Menu

Spring Bouquet Salad with Basil-Chive Vinaigrette, Chèvre, and Pine Nuts

DSC_0125.JPG

Does it seem strange to eat flowers? They’re beautiful and fragile and seem almost sacred. But they’re also delicious. When our CSA had edible flowers as an option this week, my heart leapt. And this simple, delicious, edible bouquet was the result.

DSC_0106.JPG

Butter lettuce is the perfect companion to delicate, edible flowers. It’s delicate too, and lets the flower flavor shine. The basil and chives marry with Dijon mustard and honey to coat the lettuce and add a tinge of sweetness and tang. The chèvre works well, but so would other cheeses: pecorino, feta, Manchego. And other nuts and seeds would be delicious: pistachios, almonds, sunflower seeds, pepitas.

Spring Bouquet Salad.jpg

What are your thoughts on edible flowers? Any favorites or recipes that you love to make with them?

Spring Bouquet Salad with Basil-Chive Vinaigrette, Chèvre, and Pine Nuts

As noted in the post, be creative with this salad – especially with other nuts/seeds and cheeses.

For the basil-chive vinaigrette:
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1/4 cup Champagne vinegar
2 teaspoons honey
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

For the salad:
1 head butter lettuce, washed and torn into bite sized pieces
1/4 cup lightly toasted pine nuts (swirl them in a dry pan over medium heat for 2 or 3 minutes or until fragrant)
2 ounces chèvre, crumbled
12 or more edible flowers

Combine all vinaigrette ingredients in a blender except for the olive oil; puree. With blender running, slowly add olive oil. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. (You’ll have vinaigrette left over for another use.)

Place lettuce in a large serving bowl. Drizzle with 1/4 cup or more vinaigrette; toss to coat. Sprinkle with pine nuts and crumbled chèvre. Arrange flowers on top and serve.

Serves 4

11 Responses to Spring Bouquet Salad with Basil-Chive Vinaigrette, Chèvre, and Pine Nuts

1. Giovanna April 25, 2012 at 11:58 pm #

I love to use flowers in a salad too and this recipe is so good: chevre and pine nuts … delicious !!!

• Marissa April 26, 2012 at 8:29 am #

I bet there are beautiful edible flowers growing at Podere Vignali!

2. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella April 26, 2012 at 2:09 am #

That plate looks stunning! I love the beauty of the flowers-they put a smile on every face :)

• Marissa April 26, 2012 at 8:29 am #

Thanks Lorraine – so much more fun to eat pretty things.

3. Val @ Tips on Healthy Living April 26, 2012 at 7:33 am #

Lovely! Great pics too. I think using them to decorate a cake would be great and if you’re up to it, you could make a clear sugar glaze for the flowers.

• Marissa April 26, 2012 at 8:30 am #

That’s a great idea…

4. Cookie and Kate May 1, 2012 at 7:13 pm #

Wow, look at those gorgeous flowers! I can’t believe you can eat them. I think I’d be a little afraid of biting into them, too!

• Marissa May 2, 2012 at 8:20 am #

Even though I know I like them, I still hesitate (just a little) when I’m scooping a bite. :) Honestly Nasturtium and chive flowers are my favorite, but it’s a bit early here for those…

5. Elizabeth May 2, 2012 at 7:09 pm #

Nasturtiums are just lovely, aren’t they? So spicy and brisk. This salad looks wonderful.

6. Marissa May 2, 2012 at 10:04 pm #

Thank you, Elizabeth.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Marissa’s edible flower salad « Farm to Table - April 25, 2012

[...] to use the edible flowers that are in season!  Thanks Marissa for sharing your blog with us!  Go Here to see the recipe to an edible flower salad with pine nuts!  Yummmm!  We would also love your [...]