Primary Menu

Shrimp, Melon, and Cucumber Salad with Spicy Mayonnaise

Prawn Melon and Cucumber Salad with Spicy Mayonnaise

When it gets hot outside, I start to think about salads. Just like soups in the fall and winter, salads are the savior of summer dinner. They’re so versatile – farro with feta and roasted vegetables, romaine with heirloom tomato, avocado and cucumber, pasta with cucumber, tomato, kalamata olives, and sundried tomatoes…you know what I mean.

And this summer salad – it may be my favorite yet.

Salad Ingredients

So try this salad on some sultry summer evening and let me know what you think.

Shrimp, Melon, and Cucumber Salad with Spicy Mayonnaise

I used cantaloupe, but use any melon you like. You can eat the salad right after you prepare it for a room temperature version or chill it first. Try it rolled up taco-style in crunchy cabbage or lettuce leaves – delicious!

For the spicy mayonnaise:
1/3 cup mayonnaise (maybe your own)
1 tablespoon sriracha hot chili sauce
1/2 teaspoon each soy sauce and lemon juice

For the salad:
3/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 cucumber, peeled, quartered and sliced into 1/2″ wedges (no need to peel if you’re using an English cucumber)
1/2 cantaloupe or honeydew melon, seeded and cut into bite-size chunks
2 green onions, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 avocado, cut in bite size chunks
1/2 cup toasted almonds, chopped
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, sliced crosswise into thin slivers

8 cabbage or butter lettuce leaves (optional)

To make the spicy mayonnaise, whisk together mayonnaise, sriracha hot chili sauce, soy sauce, and lemon juice in a small bowl; set aside.

To cook the shrimp, bring about 2 cups of water to boil in a small saucepan (you want enough water to just cover the shrimp); stir in a small handful of salt. Add shrimp and cook for about 2 minutes, or until pink and cooked through. Drain shrimp in a colander and set aside to cool. Coarsely chop the shrimp when they are cool enough to handle.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine cucumber, melon, green onions, celery, avocado, almonds, and chopped shrimp. Add mayonnaise to mixture and gently stir to combine. Divide mixture between four serving plates or scoop into whole cabbage or lettuce leaves divided among the plates. Sprinkle slivered basil evenly over each. Serve.

Serves 4 generously

, ,

14 Responses to Shrimp, Melon, and Cucumber Salad with Spicy Mayonnaise

1. Barbara Scott July 18, 2012 at 8:29 am #

So can’t wait to make this! I love the decadent simplicity.

• Marissa July 19, 2012 at 9:41 am #

Thanks Barb!

2. Sabrina (Sugarly Ever After) July 18, 2012 at 11:40 am #

I just realized I left this comment on the wrong blog entry, how silly of me! Lets try this again!

This recipe sounds delicious! I can’t wait to try it, especially the spicy mayo! I love your blog, glad I came across it! Your pictures are great! Will definitely be following
    Would love for you to stop by my blog sometime. New blog friends are the best!

• Marissa July 19, 2012 at 9:42 am #

Hi Sabrina – Thank you. I did stop by your blog – the pasta salad you have posted looks really good. :)

3. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella July 18, 2012 at 12:28 pm #

I’m a huge mayonnaise lover! In fact, if I cut it out, I think I’d lose lots of weight but I love the stuff so much. This looks totally up my alley! :)

• Marissa July 19, 2012 at 9:43 am #

Hi Lorraine – I relate, but It’s so good, isn’t it?

4. Simply Life July 18, 2012 at 6:30 pm #

Oh these are so cute! I love how colorful they are!

• Marissa July 19, 2012 at 9:43 am #

Thanks!

5. Giovanna July 19, 2012 at 6:55 am #

Looks so delicious and fresh !!! Bellissima

• Marissa July 19, 2012 at 9:44 am #

Thanks Giovanna. You knocked me out today with that sunflower field photo on you blog…Just beautiful!

6. Sandra's Easy Cooking July 19, 2012 at 8:35 pm #

Very delicious looking with unique and defiantly interesting combination of flavors. Great pics!

7. Reem | Simply Reem July 19, 2012 at 10:37 pm #

This looks fabulous!!!
    I love such fresh light salads in this crazy hot weather..
    Loving the spicy mayo!!

8. Jenn July 20, 2012 at 9:32 am #

I made this last night and amazing is an understatement. It was absolutely fantastic! The spicy mayo is delightful and the combination of flavors explodes in your mouth! This is definitely a new summer favorite of mine!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Birthday week: Post 1, Sleep and sushi ~FAVS~ : jennheffer - January 8, 2013

[...] up the most amazing Spicy Mayo ever from my very good friend Marissa’s blog. I linked her recipe for Shrimp, Melon and [...]