Primary Menu

Fresh Herb Salt

A couple of years ago we were on vacation in Portland, Oregon and I bought a little jar of fresh herb salt. Before that I hadn’t considered that fresh herbs could be preserved so simply by mixing them with salt. I’ve bought jar after jar since then – many of them as gifts – and the other day I thought, why can’t I make this? So I did; you should too. Here’s how!

Special thanks to Dexter Britain for the use of his track, “Summers Coming”.

Fresh Herbs

Fresh Herb Salt
Use any combination of herbs you like here. Use on meat, vegetables, pasta… I promise you’ll love it!
Ingredients
  • 1 clove garlic, peeled
  • 1 cup fresh herbs, lightly packed (I use a mixture of oregano, thyme, and sage)
  • ½ cup coarse sea salt
  • ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Instructions
  1. With the food processor running, add clove of garlic through the shoot to mince. Add fresh herbs to the bowl the food processor; process until very fine, about 30 seconds.
  2. Combine salt, freshly ground black pepper and herb mixture in a medium bowl; whisk to thoroughly combine.
  3. Transfer to airtight container and store in a cool dry place.

, , , , , , ,

9 Responses to Fresh Herb Salt

1. Jen @ Jen's Favorite Cookies July 12, 2012 at 9:01 am #

I’ve never had fresh herb salt before… now I’m going to be looking for it! It seems like a wonderful idea!

• Marissa July 12, 2012 at 10:43 pm #

It’s so good – love that the herbs don’t dry out.

2. Jenn Parke July 12, 2012 at 9:41 am #

FABULOUS video!!!!! Loved it and it was soooo easy! I almost spit my coffee out at the ‘Strip (what!?)’ part!!!

• Marissa July 12, 2012 at 10:44 pm #

Jenn, you crack me up. xoxo

3. Giovanna July 12, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

I prepare lots of jar of herbs salt every summer … it’s so good on meat !!! I use also a mix of rosemary, sage, garlic ( finely chopped) and pink and black pepper for vegetables, meat or a different kind of bruschetta !

• Marissa July 12, 2012 at 10:44 pm #

I am definitely trying you pink and black pepper version – sounds fantastic!

4. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella July 13, 2012 at 5:15 am #

A great idea to preserve herbs and I bet that they make wonderful gifts too! :D

5. Simply Life July 15, 2012 at 12:42 pm #

I’ve just started using herb salts and love the added flavor!

6. Sabrina (Sugarly Ever After) July 18, 2012 at 11:39 am #

This recipe sounds delicious! I can’t wait to try it, especially the spicy mayo! I love your blog, glad I came across it! Your pictures are great! Will definitely be following :)

Would love for you to stop by my blog sometime. New blog friends are the best!