Does anything say ‘spring’ more than asparagus? It’s a vegetable that I’ll gladly eat five times a week when it’s in season – not exaggerating. I typically blanch the tender spears in some boiling water and eat them doused in good olive oil and sprinkled with salt.
But this asparagus dish is all dressed up with grated eggs and capers, ready for a party!
More Must Make Asparagus Recipes
- Pickled Asparagus
- Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus
- Asparagus Nicoise Salad (a spring riff on classic Nicoise Salad)
- Grilled Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
Asparagus with Grated Egg and Capers
- 3 eggs
- 2 pounds asparagus trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon capers drained
- coarse sea salt such as Maldon
- freshly ground black pepper
- Fill a saucepan with enough water to cover eggs by an inch and bring to full boil. Carefully lower eggs into boiling water. Let eggs boil uncovered for about 30 seconds. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 11 minutes. Transfer boiled eggs to a bowl of ice water. When cool enough to handle, gently break shell apart and peel. Grate eggs on a coarse cheese grater or very finely chop with a sharp knife.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Meanwhile, with your hands, snap the tough, woody ends off of the asparagus.
- Add asparagus spears to boiling water and cook two minutes, just until crisp-tender and bright green. Drain and arrange on platter. Drizzle olive oil over asparagus and top with the grated eggs and capers. Season to taste with coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve.