This farro salad is loaded with crunchy raw zucchini, radishes and cucumber, sweet tomato, buttery pecans, tangy lemon and Italian kale that’s had a peanut butter massage. Yes, you read that right.
It was the peanut butter massage that intrigued me. If you’ve been following this blog for a while, you know that I’m a fan of massaging raw kale with salt, but peanut butter? That was new to me.
This salad is a riff on this recipe from Bon Appétit magazine. I swapped out a few of the vegetables for those that I had on hand and used peanut butter instead of almond butter – though almond butter would also be great! Or even hazelnut butter! I’ve got some experimenting to do.
If you split this salad between two people, it’s a completely satisfying meal. It’s also vegan (I know! 🙂 ). It think it’s the farro that makes it a meal. Have you had farro? If you haven’t, promise me you’ll find some and give it a try. It’s delicious at any temperature, but especially cold. It adds a nutty heft to salads. And when you make this, consider doubling the recipe. We did and had it for dinner two nights in a row – summer laziness, you understand. It was even better the second day.
Farro Salad with Raw Vegetable and Pecans
For the Dressing
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
For the Salad
- 1 bunch Italian kale sliced crosswise into thin ribbons
- large pinch fine salt
- 1 cup cooked farro
- 1 small zucchini thinly sliced into circles
- 4 radishes thinly sliced
- 1/2 English cucumber halved lengthwise and thinly sliced into half-circles
- 1 cup red and/or yellow cherry tomatoes halved
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans
To make the dressing:
- Whisk lemon juice, peanut butter and salt in a small bowl to combine; slowly add olive oil, whisking to emulsify.
To make the salad:
- Place kale ribbons in serving bowl; sprinkle with salt and 2 tablespoons dressing and massage until softened and evenly coated, about 1 minute.
- Add farro, zucchini, radishes, cucumber, tomatoes, and remaining dressing; toss to combine. Season to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve topped with toasted pecans.