Does this just look like summer in a bowl? So decadent! Every bite holds a new flavor fusion; mozzarella, tomato and basil; olives, tomato, a little crunch of salt; basil, cucumber, mozzarella, olive oil. Serve a generous portion of this salad with a lightly boiled ear of fresh, sweet corn and you have the perfect lunch.
Heirloom tomatoes are special: green with darker green zebra stripes; deep, almost black, red, canary yellow, brilliant orange. And it’s not just the color – the textures are so different, from juicy to firm, sweet to tangy. Combine them with creamy mozzarella, kalamata olives, sweet basil, buttery olive oil, and there it is – summer in a bowl.
- 3 medium heirloom tomatoes a variety, cut into bite size chunks
- 1 cucumber peeled if you like, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1" chunks
- 3 ounces fresh mozzarella cut in 1/2" cubes
- 10 kalamata olives or more, pitted and halved
- handful fresh basil leaves sliced thin
- a few swirls of extra virgin olive oil 2 to 3 tablespoons
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Add all ingredients to a large serving bowl and toss to combine.