I never was good at sleeping while the moon was full
I just lie and burn
Wreck my mind while the planet turns
Yes, that about sums it up.
When I wasn’t thinking about work, family, coffee, my eternal soul, pulling weeds, what was that guy’s name?…, I was conjuring these tacos. So insomnia isn’t all bad. Shrimp tacos would be good I thought, especially with a spicy slaw. But what kind of tortillas to use? Flour or corn?
How about both.
I don’t often pair seafood with cheese, but it really works here. I used mozzarella, but monterrey jack or cheddar would work nicely also. When I make traditional ground beef tacos, I always fry each tortilla quickly in a bit of olive oil. But these shells are done all at once in the oven – nice if you have several mouths to feed.
Keith was partial to the flour version, I preferred the corn. But they were both delicious. And, if you’re feeling energetic, make your own. May I recommend these? 🙂
If you’ve had your tortillas for a few days and they’re on the dry side. I recommend brushing them lightly with water before putting them in the oven where they could dry out further.
- 8 small flour or corn tortillas
- 2 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ lime
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons sriracha sauce
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- several sprigs of cilantro (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange half of the tortillas in a single layer over the parchment paper.
- Divide shredded cheese evenly among the tortillas and top with a second tortilla.
- Bake for about 5 minutes, until tortillas are warm and cheese has melted.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add shrimp; cook and stir until shrimp are pink and just cooked through, 2 or 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Squeeze lime half evenly over shrimp and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- To make the spicy slaw, add mayonnaise, sour cream and sriracha to the bottom of a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Add shredded cabbage and toss to coat.
- Top each double tortilla shell with 3 shrimp then divide the slaw evenly among the tacos. Add a sprig of cilantro to each taco if desired. Serve.