Sweet Potato Hash Browns
Enjoy delicious Sweet Potato Hash Browns that are crispy at the edges and buttery tender in the middle! Easy to make in a skillet with this recipe - just 3 ingredients and 15 minutes total! A healthy, gluten free and vegan dish that works for Whole 30 and Paleo diets as well!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 3/4 pound sweet potato peeled if desired
- 4 tablespoons high heat oil such as avocado or coconut, divided, see recipe note #1
- kosher salt to taste
If cooking in two batches (depending on the size of your skillet) preheat a baking sheet in oven to 225˚F.
Shred sweet potato.
(If cooking in batches, use 2 tablespoons of oil per batch.) Add 2 tablespoons oil to a hot, large, heavy skillet (ideally cast iron). Add shredded sweet potato in mounds. Flatten each mound with the back of a spatula, giving each hash brown some room. Cook without moving 4 to 5 minutes (reduce heat slightly if they start to burn). Carefully flip each with a thin metal spatula, flatten again and cook 4 to 5 minutes more until edges are crisp and center is tender. Season to taste with salt and serve or transfer to baking sheet in oven if cooking in batches.
- You may need to cook these hash browns in 2 batches, depending on the size of your skillet. If so, use 2 tablespoons of oil per batch.
- Nutrition information is accurate if you're using avocado oil.
- If you prefer to cook these in butter, I recommend using clarified butter which is less likely to burn.
Calories: 196kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 46mg | Potassium: 286mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 12065IU | Vitamin C: 2.1mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 0.5mg