Carne Asada Nachos
Carne Asada Nachos are a decadent delicious way to enjoy leftover Carne Asada steak!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Servings 6 people
- 8 ounces grilled Carne Asada leftover or just grilled (see recipe note #2)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 ounces tortilla chips ideally thick and sturdy
- 8 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese or a mix of Jack and cheddar
- thinly sliced jalapeño fresh or pickled, to taste
- chopped fresh cilantro to taste
- Pico de Gallo to taste
- guacamole to taste
- sour cream to taste
Preheat oven to 375˚F.
Slice cooked Carne Asada steak across the grain into slices and then into bite-size pieces.
Heat olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat until hot. Add steak; cook and stir until heated through and slightly crisped, 3 to 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
Spread chips onto a quarter sheet pan in a single layer with chips overlapping, but not stacked. Bake 5 minutes until lightly crisp and fragrant.
Top hot chips evenly in 3 layers: 1/2 of cheese, followed by Carne Asada pieces, finishing with remaining cheese. Bake 5 to 7 minutes until cheese has melted.
Serve hot, topped with jalapeño slices and cilantro (optional) and Pico de Gallo, guacamole and sour cream on the side.
- Note that preparation time does not include making Pico de Gallo or guacamole from scratch, but I recommend that you do! :)
- If you've just grilled your Carne Asada, you can skip the step of heating it up in a skillet.
- It's worth it to shred your own cheese. Skip the bagged stuff that's coated in potato starch or cellulose powder as it doesn't melt well.
- Feel free to adjust the amount of shredded cheese. I've seen recipes with much less than I suggest and up to twice as much - the amount is definitely subjective. I encourage you to make these your own!
Calories: 424kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 57mg | Sodium: 484mg | Potassium: 229mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 320IU | Vitamin C: 1.1mg | Calcium: 352mg | Iron: 1.9mg