Easy Spicy Pork Meatballs
Adapted from Nigel Slater's cookbook Appetite
with a few changes.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 2 thick stalks of lemongrass coarse outer leaves discarded and tender leaves coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 shallots peeled and chopped
- 2 jalapeños stems removed and chopped (remove the seeds for less spicy meatballs)
- 2 strips uncooked bacon chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Add first 9 ingredients to the bowl of a food processor (lemongrass through pepper). Process mixture until very finely minced, scraping down the bowl occasionally. Transfer to a medium bowl.
Add ground pork to lemongrass mixture and use your hands to just combine, taking care not to over-mix which would make the meatballs tough.
Shape the seasoned pork into balls that are close to equal in size. (I made them about 1/4 cup each)
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add meatballs to skillet, flattening them slightly. Leave some space around each so that they'll brown properly. Brown the meatballs until golden brown on one side, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and cook 2 to 3 minutes more to brown the other side and cooked through.
Calories: 394kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 88mg | Sodium: 430mg | Potassium: 446mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 210IU | Vitamin C: 11.6mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 1.4mg