Kale and Quinoa Salad
Serve this warm or cold - it's delicious either way!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 6 people
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa thoroughly rinsed
- 1 bunch Italian kale sliced crosswise into thin ribbons
- large pinch fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon juiced
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 avocado peel and seed removed, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 ounces feta crumbled
- 2 ounces slivered almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper optional
Heat rinsed quinoa and 3 cups water in a saucepan; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes more.
Meanwhile, place kale ribbons into a large serving bowl. Sprinkle with a generous pinch of fine sea salt. Massage salt into kale by squeezing it in fistfuls and then rubbing it between your fingers, until it turns a darker shade of green and has a softer texture – just a minute or two.
Fluff quinoa with a fork and add to kale in serving bowl; gently stir to combine. Pour olive oil and lemon juice over the top; gently toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Top salad with remaining ingredients and serve.
Calories: 396kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 130mg | Potassium: 714mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 4635IU | Vitamin C: 66.9mg | Calcium: 168mg | Iron: 3.4mg