Italian Potato Salad
Italian Potato Salad is a lightened up twist on traditional potato salad. Red potatoes are coated in peppery olive oil and tossed with crunchy cucumber, tender tomatoes, briny olives and capers, buttery boiled eggs then spiked with vinegar and oregano. Italian style potato salad recipe is easy to assemble and adding a can of good quality tuna makes it a meal!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 2 pounds medium red-skinned potatoes scrubbed
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 english cucumber quartered lengthwise, cut into cubes
- 4 plum tomatoes cut into quarters
- 1/2 red onion very thinly sliced
- 24 black oil-cured olives pitted, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup slivered fresh basil plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons salt cured capers rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons champagne or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 hard-boiled eggs peeled, quartered
- 2 6-ounce cans tuna drained (ideally canned in olive oil or its own juice)
Heat a large pot of water over high heat until boiling. Add a small handful of salt. Add potatoes to boiling water and cook until tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Drain potatoes and let stand until cool enough to handle.
Cut potatoes into rough, 1-inch cubes and place in a serving bowl. Add olive oil and toss to coat. Add cucumber, tomatoes, onion, olives, basil, and capers.
Whisk vinegar and oregano together in small bowl; add to salad and toss lightly to combine.
With your fingers or a fork, separate tuna in to bite size chunks and sprinkle over salad. Arrange boiled egg quarters over salad. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Garnish with basil sprigs and serve.