Classic Wedge Salad
Iceberg lettuce is cold, crunchy, delicious, and fun to eat sliced in a big wedge then drizzled with blue cheese dressing and sprinkled with crumbled bacon.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 small garlic clove minced
- 3 ounces blue cheese crumbled and divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- milk for thinning dressing
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
For the Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing:
To make the dressing, add sour cream, garlic, two ounces of the blue cheese, and lemon juice to a small bowl. Use a fork to combine the ingredients, smashing the blue cheese crumbles against the side of the bowl to infuse the sour cream with flavor.
Add chives to dressing and stir to combine. Add milk a teaspoon at a time until the dressing reaches your desired consistency. Season dressing to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
To Assemble Wedge Salad:
Remove any wilted or brown leaves from the head of lettuce.
Cut the head in half starting from the top and slicing down through the core. Then cut each half in half again so that each wedge has 1/4 of the core. Rinse each wedge and pat dry with paper towels. Carefully cut core from each keeping wedge intact and place on separate salad plates.
Spoon desired amount of dressing over each wedge. Sprinkle each wedge with 1/4 of the bacon crumbles and 1/4 of the remaining blue cheese. Serve.
- Note that cook time doesn’t include bacon.
- If you'd like to cook your bacon in the oven: Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set an oven proof rack on top. Arrange bacon slices on the rack, giving them a bit of space between. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or to your desired crispness. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
Calories: 271kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 52mg | Sodium: 490mg | Potassium: 348mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1140IU | Vitamin C: 6.3mg | Calcium: 184mg | Iron: 0.8mg