My tried and true recipe for the perfect skillet cornbread!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 8 generous slices
- 1 1/2 cups whole grain cornmeal 198 grams, preferably medium grind
- 1 cup White Whole Wheat Flour 120 grams
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup frozen corn 99 grams
- 2 large eggs
- 8 tablespoons butter (stick) melted and cooled slightly
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or other high heat oil
Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet on oven's center rack. Turn oven to 400°F, allowing the pan to preheat.
In a medium bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Set aside.
In a blender or combine yogurt, water, and frozen corn. Mix until smooth. Add eggs and blend for a few seconds, just until combined.
Pour yogurt mixture and melted butter into cornmeal mixture. Fold ingredients together with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until combined; don't over-mix.
With an oven mitt, remove preheated skillet. Add oil to hot skillet and swirl to coat bottom and sides of pan. Pour batter into skillet, scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula. Smooth top and place on the oven's center rack.
Bake for 25 minutes or until knife or toothpick comes out clean. Let cool 5 minutes or more before serving.
Calories: 347kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 308mg | Potassium: 309mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 430IU | Vitamin C: 1.2mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 1.6mg