Greek Salad is the perfect side to almost any main dish, yet is hearty enough to be a meal on its own. My favorite Greek Salad recipe is a classic combination of red ripe tomato, crunchy cucumber, briny kalamata olives and salty capers, tangy feta cheese, sweet red bell pepper and subtle onion heat, all dressed simply with good olive oil and a generous sprinkle of dried oregano.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
Servings 6 people
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano plus more for sprinkling the top if desired
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil or more
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 large plum tomatoes diced
- 2 large cucumbers diced (peeled if necessary)
- 1 large red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 medium shallot thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 24 pitted kalamata olives halved
- 7 ounces feta cheese finely diced or crumbled
- 1 tablespoon capers rinsed and drained
- 5 ounces butter lettuce leaves torn into bite-size pieces, optional
To make dressing: in a medium bowl, whisk together vinegar and oregano; add olive oil in a slow stream, whisking constantly until emulsified. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a large salad bowl combine next 7 ingredients (tomatoes through capers).
Whisk dressing again and pour desired amount over salad; gently toss to combine. Sprinkle with more dried oregano if desired.
Optional: If desired, divide butter lettuce evenly between 6 individual salad bowls and top with Greek Salad; serve.
Calories: 288kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 29mg | Sodium: 476mg | Potassium: 373mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 2205IU | Vitamin C: 44.8mg | Calcium: 198mg | Iron: 1.3mg