Pita Bread Recipe
If you've wondered how to make homemade pita bread, this is it! Follow this super simple pita bread recipe and you'll have toasty warm, perfectly puffed pitas to stuff with your favorite sandwich ingredients, dip into hummus or roll into a gyro or shawarma.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 3 minutes
Refrigeration 12 hours
Total Time 23 minutes
Servings 8 pitas
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 272 g
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour 108 g
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Combine all ingredients in bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. Mix on low until all dry ingredients are moistened and comes together in to a shaggy dough. Increase speed to medium and knead for 8 minutes until dough is smooth. Remove dough from hook and shape into a ball. Rub ball on all sides with olive oil and return to mixing bowl. Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight or up to 3 days. Bring dough to room temperature before shaping.
When ready to bake, place baking stone or heavy baking sheet in cold oven and pre-heat to 475°F.
Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface and divide into 8 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a flat disc and, with a lightly floured rolling pin, roll into an 8-inch diameter circle. (As you work with one, keep remaining pieces covered with a clean towel or plastic wrap.)
Depending on the size of your baking sheet, you'll bake 2 to 4 pitas at a time. Spritz pitas lightly with water and transfer directly to baking stone or sheet. Bake 2 minutes, until puffed and lightly brown. Flip and bake 1 minute more. Remove and allow oven to come to full temperature before baking the next batch. Repeat with remaining dough.
Serve hot or store in an airtight bag for a few days or freeze baked pitas to use within a month or two. Reheat in oven or in a skillet on the stovetop.
- Please note that total time does not include dough rising time.
- If you don't have a stand mixer or prefer to mix by hand, stir ingredients together in a large mixing bowl and transfer to lightly floured work surface. Knead for 8 to 10 minutes until smooth and follow remaining instructions.
- You can also cook these in a skillet, one at a time, over medium-high heat on the stovetop - be sure that the skillet gets fully reheated between pitas.
Calories: 191kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 4g | Sodium: 585mg | Potassium: 74mg | Fiber: 2g | Calcium: 12mg | Iron: 1.8mg