Primary Menu

Grilled Avocado Toast

Likely, I’m not the first to tell you about Avocado Toast. Maybe, like me, you saw it here or here and thought, “Yum, I should try that.” But maybe, like me, it took you months to finally get around to it. Avocado Toast

But it’s September now, and soon we’ll be covering our barbecue and starting to dream of soup.

breadandavocado.jpg

You could certainly make these with broiled bread, but they won’t be quite the same. They won’t have that smoky flavor that you only get from the grill.

We tried a couple of variations, but this super-simple version was the best. New York City’s Cafe Gitane gets credit for this particular combination; they serve it as a staple of their brunch menu. And I know why, it’s fabulous with eggs and fruit on a lazy Saturday morning. But it’s equally good as an appetizer on a warm summer evening.

Maybe you have a version of avocado toast that you love. Yes? I’d love to hear about it…

Grilled Avocado Toast
This is the kind of recipe where the ingredient amounts will vary completely according to your tastes. The amounts here are a suggestion, but feel free to switch it up any way you like. Of course the recipe is easily scaled for a few or a crowd. Don’t smash your avocados too far ahead or they’ll turn brown. You can add a bit of lemon juice to avoid this, but it will change the flavor of the toasts. (If you do this let me know how it tastes.)
Ingredients
  • 8 1-inch thick slices crusty, whole grain bread
  • 2 avocados, peeled, seeded and lightly smashed (see headnote)
  • good quality, extra virgin olive oil
  • crushed red pepper
  • flaky sea salt, such as Maldon
Instructions
  1. Heat your grill to medium-high. If you cook on a charcoal grill, even better – thee toasts will have even more smoky-good flavor.
  2. Place the bread slices on the grill with a bit of space between. Toast for about 3 minutes per side, or until they take on a nice char, but aren’t burned. Remove the toasts and arrange on a serving platter. Divide the smashed avocado between the toasts, smashing it down with a fork. Now douse with a generous drizzle of olive oil. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper and flaky sea salt to taste. Serve hot.
Makes 8 toasts

13 Responses to Grilled Avocado Toast

1. Giovanna September 4, 2012 at 12:30 am #

I’m curious about this recipe, i’ve never tried avocado for a toast! I’m going to a market today looking for some avocados … thank you for the idea!

• Marissa September 9, 2012 at 10:36 pm #

I’d love to hear how you like it!

2. savorysaltysweet September 4, 2012 at 1:13 pm #

You know what’s great about avocado toast? It’s not only super delicious, but it’s one of those rare foods that has crossover appeal amongst adults and children. My son loves avocado on toast, and so do I. Everybody wins!

• Marissa September 9, 2012 at 10:37 pm #

I agree – they’re sooo good!

3. Cookie and Kate September 4, 2012 at 9:32 pm #

I’m so glad you got around to trying avocado toast! I’ll never, ever, stop loving avocado toast. Grilling the bread sounds like a terrific variation!

• Marissa September 9, 2012 at 10:37 pm #

Thanks for the inspiration! :)

4. Lorraine @ Not Quite NIgella September 4, 2012 at 11:03 pm #

This is such a favourite breakfast here! In fact I just bought three enormous avocadoes which would just love to be made into this! :D

• Marissa September 9, 2012 at 10:38 pm #

So good alongside scrambled eggs!

5. Angie@Angie's Recipes September 5, 2012 at 1:37 am #

This would sure make a great breakfast!

• Marissa September 9, 2012 at 10:38 pm #

I agree!

6. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen September 6, 2012 at 6:55 am #

Your avocados look perfect; I never get them like that except when I don´t intend to take a picture, then I open them up and they are perfect!
    I could eat avocado toast almost every day, never tire of it. I use a bit of lemon juice and tabasco instead of red pepper flakes. Wonderful pic!

• Marissa September 9, 2012 at 10:39 pm #

mmmm I like the idea of Tabasco – that vinegar kick would be great.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Weekend Update and The Tobacco Barn | The English Room - July 21, 2013

[...] started with multiple yummy apps including Avocado toast and unreal Mango Margaritas from The Pioneer [...]