Does this just look like summer in a bowl? So decadent! Every bite holds a new flavor fusion; mozzarella, tomato and basil; olives, tomato, a little crunch of salt; basil, cucumber, mozzarella, olive oil. Serve a generous portion of this salad with a lightly boiled ear of fresh, sweet corn and you have the perfect lunch.
Heirloom tomatoes are special: green with darker green zebra stripes; deep, almost black, red, canary yellow, brilliant orange. And it’s not just the color – the textures are so different, from juicy to firm, sweet to tangy. Combine them with creamy mozzarella, kalamata olives, sweet basil, buttery olive oil, and there it is – summer in a bowl.
- 3 medium heirloom tomatoes, a variety, cut into bite size chunks
- 1 cucumber, peeled if you like, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1" chunks
- 3 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut in ½" cubes
- 10 or more kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- a handful of fresh basil leaves, sliced thin
- a few swirls of extra virgin olive oil, 2 to 3 T
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients to a large serving bowl and toss to combine.