This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Lemon Garlic Aioli is a bold and bright version of the classic sauce. With a few simple ingredients and an immersion blender, it’s easy to make at home in just 5 minutes.
This quick and easy aioli is ideal as a condiment for fish and seafood dishes (like Crab Cakes!) and makes a wonderful sandwich spread or dip for raw or cooked vegetables. The key to making it perfectly creamy, authentically flavored and never bitter is to use two different oils. You’ll start with a neutral vegetable oil (like avocado oil) to begin the emulsion with the blender, then whisk in extra virgin olive oil at the end.
Lemon Garlic Aioli Ingredients
- Eggs: large or extra large yolks
- Garlic: fresh garlic cloves
- Lemon: fresh lemon juice and zest
- Avocado Oil: Ideal for this recipe because it won’t become bitter with the speed of the immersion blender blade. You can also use grapeseed oil.
- Olive Oil: extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher Salt
Aioli is a sauce that’s made by blending fresh garlic with olive oil into a creamy emulsion. Many versions include salt, egg and, as in this recipe, lemon juice.
Store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
How to Fix Broken Aioli
If your aioli breaks, i.e., doesn’t thicken properly, don’t throw it out! It’s a simple fix: add an egg yolk to a fresh bowl, whisk it, and then slowly whisk in the broken mixture. Keep doing this until you have smooth, creamy aoli.
More Great Aioli Recipes
How to Make Lemon Garlic Aioli
Add egg yolks, garlic, and avocado oil to a container that is just large enough to allow the head of your blender to reach the bottom and allow oil to settle. Place the head of an immersion blender on the bottom of the container and turn it on to its highest speed. When you see aioli beginning to form, slowly lift the blender head and move it up and down and side to side until all of the oil is incorporated.
Hand whisk in olive oil in a slow, steady stream, until emulsified. Whisk in salt and lemon juice and zest. Season with salt to taste. Serve or refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Lemon Garlic Aioli
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 medium cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 medium lemon juice and zest
- Add egg yolks, garlic, and avocado oil to a 2-cup glass measuring cup (or other container that is just large enough to allow the head of your blender to reach the bottom); allow oil to settle. Place the head of an immersion blender on the bottom of the pitcher; turn it on to its highest speed. When you see aioli beginning to form, slowly lift the blender head from the bottom and move it up and down and side to side until all of the oil is incorporated. (recipe note #1)
- For easier whisking, transfer to medium bowl and add olive oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until emulsified. Whisk in salt and lemon juice and zest. (recipe note #2) Taste for seasoning and add salt as desired; serve or refrigerate. Store refrigerated in a sealed container for up to 4 days.
- If for some reason your aioli breaks (i.e., doesn’t immediately turn thick), don’t throw it away! It’s an easy fix. Add an egg yolk to a fresh bowl, whisk it and then, very slowly, whisk in the broken mixture until it starts to emulsify. Continue to drizzle and whisk until you have a bowl of smooth, creamy aioli.
- You may want to transfer the aioli to a separate bowl before whisking in the olive oil, salt and lemon juice and zest.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.