This is the easiest recipe for Sugared Pecans! Just 4 simple ingredients: pecans, egg whites, sugar and salt. Raw pecan halves are tossed in a frothy meringue and baked in a low oven until perfectly crisp and delicious. So versatile! Perfect for snacking (look out, they're addictive!), or for topping salads and desserts or packaged up as an edible gift.
I paid $8 for my first handful of sugar coated pecans. They were called "Mashuga Nuts" and it was a moment of weakness I admit, but the odds were against me: it was too late to leave the hotel room; the movie was great; the sweet cravings were unbearable; the minibar snack basket beckoned.
Mashuga Nuts is a brand name, but the word 'Mashuga' is Yiddish for 'Crazy'. Which seems appropriate since pecans coated in snappy sugar are crazy good. Too much? Sorry.
I came home inspired to make my own version, but I never expected it to be so easy.
More Edible Gift Ideas
During the holidays, I love to make batches of these sugared nuts and package them up with an assortment of cookies (Butter Cookies, Soft Sugar Cookies, Cowboy Cookies, Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies) as holiday gifts for neighbors and friends. Or simply pile the nuts into a little glass jar and tie with a ribbon for a perfect host / hostess gift!
You can store candied pecans (sugared pecans) in and airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
- To add vanilla flavor, whisk ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract into the egg white and sugar mixture.
- Add some spice with ¼ to ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon or some heat with a pinch of cayenne.
How to make Sugared Pecans
Step 1: Whisk egg whites until frothy. Whisk in sugar and salt. Add pecans and stir to coat evenly.
Step 2: Spread coated pecans in an even layer on parchment lined baking sheet.
Step 3: Bake at 250˚F for 45 minutes, gently stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside until completely cool before serving. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups raw pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg whites until smooth and foamy. Whisk in sugar and salt. Add pecans and stir to coat evenly.
- Pour coated pecans onto prepared baking sheet and spread into a single layer with a rubber spatula.
- Bake, stirring gently every 15 minutes, for 45 minutes total, until coating is a light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before serving. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
- I like to use superfine sugar for this recipe, but standard granulated sugar works fine too.
- Makes 4 Cups or 16, 1-ounce servings