Primary Menu

Brown Rice Sushi Balls

brown rice sushi balls

I credit our friends Bryan and Jenn for my sushi infatuation. The last time they came to visit (they live a state away), we went out and loaded our table with all manner of rolls and nigiri. I was hooked. So when the ever creative Heidi at 101 Cookbooks posted the recipe for her Sesame Almond Brown Rice Balls, it gave me an idea. Why not make brown sushi rice balls? They would have endless flavor combinations and be easier than the traditional rolling process.

Adding toasted seaweed to the rice mixture gives just the right amount of good-fishy flavor to the little balls.

And filling them is the fun part:

sashimi grade ahi tuna + avocado + spicy mayonnaise

avocado + spicy mayonnaise + pickled ginger

sashimi grade ahi tuna + avocado + pickled ginger

or

How about sashimi grade salmon, crab, or even solid rice balls topped with a thin slice of ahi or salmon (similar to nigiri); you see where I’m going with this. So many options!

DSC_0037.JPG

Brown Rice Sushi Balls
Recipe adapted from 101 Cookbooks You can enjoy these right after you make them or chill them for later. They’re conveniently portable if you take care to keep the container upright (otherwise bring a fork). :)
Ingredients
For the rice balls:
  • 1 cup short grain brown rice, (or brown sushi rice) prepared according to package directions and cool enough to handle comfortably
  • 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
  • 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
  • 2 tablespoons minced, toasted seaweed (I used Annie Chun’s sesame seaweed snacks)
  • 1 ounce toasted almonds, finely chopped
  • 3 tablespoons minced chives, divided
For the spicy mayonnaise:
  • 1 tablespoon mayonnaise (maybe your own)
  • 1 teaspoon sriracha hot chili sauce
  • 1 dash each soy sauce and lemon juice
  • Some filling ingredient options:
  • small cubes of avocado tossed with a little lemon juice (to keep them from turning brown)
  • tiny cubes of sashimi grade ahi tuna or salmon
  • pickled ginger (I love this brand)
  • spicy mayonnaise (recipe above)
For dipping (optional):
  • 2 parts soy sauce to 1 part sesame oil
  • soy sauce + wasabi paste to taste
Instructions
  1. Line a container or platter with parchment paper and set aside.
  2. Combine all rice ball ingredients – reserving 1 tablespoon of the chives for garnish – in a large bowl. Season to taste with fine sea salt.
  3. Line a small, deep cup with plastic wrap. Scoop in enough of the rice mixture to fill about ⅔ full. Make an indentation in the center of the rice and fill with your choice of ingredients (see suggested combinations above). Gather the plastic wrap straight up from the sides and use your fingers to gently cover the filling with rice. Lift the ball from the bowl and gently twist it, letting any air escape. Use your fingertips and opposite palm to shape a round ball (see photo above). Gently remove the ball from the plastic wrap and place in container or on platter. Repeat with remaining rice mixture (you’ll get the hang of it after a few balls). Sprinkle with reserved chives for garnish.
Makes 12 to 15 rice balls

, , , , , , , , , ,

18 Responses to Brown Rice Sushi Balls

1. Jenn April 2, 2012 at 12:41 pm #

I cannot wait to try these. I am drooling! Thank you for being so amazing and helping me be a fantastic cook with little effort or creativity on my part! You get every ounce of credit for my skills in the kitchen! ;o)

• Marissa April 2, 2012 at 1:22 pm #

Wow – that’s a pretty big compliment. Thanks Jenn!

2. Heidi April 2, 2012 at 9:31 pm #

Marissa – your rice balls turned out beautifully! :)

• Marissa April 4, 2012 at 11:13 am #

All thanks to you. How fun to have you here Heidi!

3. Luisa April 4, 2012 at 10:13 am #

These look so good. My stomach is rumbling… I’ve been meaning to make sushi at home for years, no joke, and never have, but now I’m kind of thinking that these would be just as good! So much easier than all that rolling and patting etc.

• Marissa April 4, 2012 at 11:16 am #

You made my day Luisa. You’ve inspired me so many times; I’m glad to have something for you!

4. Jerri April 9, 2012 at 7:02 pm #

Thank you for this recipe. I stuffed them with tuna tartare and fresh baby cukes, served with wasabe, pickled ginger and soy sauce. Awesome.

• Marissa April 9, 2012 at 8:47 pm #

That sounds so good. The baby cukes are a great idea.

5. Cookie and Kate April 14, 2012 at 8:06 am #

I have had those sushi balls on my mind ever since I saw them on 101cookbooks. It’s a genius technique, rolling real sushi is such a pain! I’m glad to see that yours turned out as well as Heidi’s. I definitely need to make my own soon!

• Marissa April 14, 2012 at 11:09 am #

Thank you! Yes, love the technique, much easier than traditional rolling.

6. Sarah (Thyme) April 25, 2012 at 4:54 am #

My kids had so much fun making these when we lived in Japan. This would be a school activity for fun and I was a helper in the classroom with the kids. My son is now 15 and STILL makes these balls for lunch.

• Marissa April 25, 2012 at 9:15 am #

What a great idea to do these with kids! I love that your son still makes them on his own…

7. Jenny May 6, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

These look fantastic! I’ve been trying to track down sushi grade salmon, could you let us know where you were able to find your? :)

• Marissa May 9, 2012 at 11:40 am #

We have a great fish monger in town. I would talk to someone at the fish counter where you shop and ask them about it – they may be able to get it for you even if they don’t usually stock it. Good luck!

8. anerdcooks January 12, 2013 at 5:08 pm #

Such a neat way to enjoy sushi! My husband and I are hooked on it, too. In fact, we’re heading out tomorrow to gorge ourselves ;). I’d love to try this out some day!

9. Laura January 13, 2013 at 7:56 am #

Looks like so much fun to make with my kids!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Friday Favorites | Iowa Girl Eats - May 4, 2012

[...] redo: Brown Rice Sushi Balls. Instead of fussing with rolling sushi rolls, stick all the fresh ingredients inside a ball of [...]

2. Meatless Sushi Balls | Sprouting Healthy Habits - January 22, 2014

[…] Sprouting Healthy Habits http://www.sproutinghealthyhabits.com/original recipe here […]