Bacon Wrapped Scallops are elegant enough for a dinner party or a romantic dinner for two and easy enough to prepare on a busy weeknight. In less than 30 minutes you can cook bacon wrapped scallops in the oven to tender, juicy perfection.
I'd be a little embarrassed to tell you how many times we've had scallops wrapped in bacon for dinner over the past couple of weeks. I wanted them to be just perfect before posting the recipe and it was harder than I thought! I wanted the scallops to be tender like they are when you sear them and have the bacon cooked just right. And I wanted them to bake in the oven, preferably without catching anything on fire.
The first two times I made these bacon wrapped scallops, I tried to broil them as this recipe calls for. After the spattering grease and smoke that billowed from my oven on the first try, I decided to move the pan a little further from the broiling element for the second try. Same problem.
Next I tried baking them at a higher temperature and finishing them under the broiler. Same spatter and smoke problem and the scallops were tough. And speaking of tough, I saw one recipe that called for baking them for 35(!!!) minutes at 425°F, which I can only imagine would turn a scallop into something like a rubber disc.
But, at last, success! Baking scallops wrapped in bacon for 12 minutes at 425°F was just perfect. (If your scallops are very large or your bacon very thick, it could take up to 15 minutes. And if you like your bacon even more crisp, partially cook it before wrapping the scallops as you would with Bacon Wrapped Shrimp.) The scallops were buttery and tender, the bacon sizzling and juicy.
I love to serve these with Greek Salad or Spinach Salad or a seafood dynamic duo with Crab Salad, and on days when we're looking for a decadent meal, they're fantastic served over Pasta Aglio e Olio or alongside Cheesy Potatoes. They also make a crowd pleasing appetizer - why let Bacon Wrapped Shrimp, Grilled Bacon Wrapped Shrimp and Bacon Wrapped Dates have all the fun!? 😉
And during grilling season, you can make Grilled Bacon Wrapped Scallops instead.
How to Make Bacon Wrapped Scallops
Step 1: Preheat oven to 425°F. Pat scallops dry with a paper towel and remove any side muscles.
Step 2: Wrap each scallop with ½ slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick. (If your bacon is thick or you like it crispier, you can partially bake on baking sheet for 3-5 minutes before wrapping scallops.)
Step 3: Drizzle olive oil over scallops and season with pepper and kosher salt.
Step 4: Arrange scallops in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Step 5: Bake in a 425°F oven for 12 to 15 minutes, depending on scallop size and bacon thickness. Serve hot!
Bacon Wrapped Scallops Recipe Video
Bacon Wrapped Scallops
- 16 sea scallops see recipe notes
- 8 slices bacon cut in half crosswise
- 16 toothpicks
- olive oil for drizzling
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- kosher salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Pat scallops dry with a paper towel and remove any side muscles. Wrap one scallop in a half slice of bacon and secure with toothpick (see recipe note #2). Repeat with remaining scallops.
- Drizzle olive oil over each scallop and season with pepper and kosher salt.
- Arrange scallops in a single layer on prepared baking sheet, giving each scallop some room to allow the bacon to crisp.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes until scallop is tender and opaque and bacon is cooked through. Serve hot.
- Look for 'dry' sea scallops, which means they haven't been soaked in sodium tripolyphosphate to make them heavier. (yuck!)
- If you like your bacon more crisply cooked, you can partially cook it for 3-5 minutes before wrapping the scallops as with these Bacon Wrapped Shrimp.
- 4 scallops makes a hearty main course. If you have light eaters, consider 3 scallops per person.