Greek Salad is the perfect side to almost any main dish, yet is hearty enough to be a meal on its own. My favorite Greek Salad recipe is a classic combination of red ripe tomato, crunchy cucumber, briny kalamata olives and salty capers, tangy feta cheese, sweet red bell pepper and subtle onion heat, all dressed simply with good olive oil, tangy red wine vinegar and earthy dried oregano.
At the first sight of vine ripened tomatoes that actually taste like tomatoes, I head straight for this Greek Salad recipe and then make it all summer long. Throughout the summer, I’ll swap in different varieties of cucumber, heirloom tomatoes when I can find them and sometimes toss in some avocado and for feta, I opt for the creamy sheep’s milk variety.
And for a heartier version for picnics and potlucks I like to riff on this recipe to make Greek Farro Salad or Greek Quinoa Salad. The main thing to remember is that the quality of every ingredient counts. There is no creamy dressing to hide behind, just delicious Greek Salad Dressing with peppery olive oil, a vinegar kick and dried oregano to enhance the flavors and textures of fresh ingredients that are delicious on their own and incredible when combined.
I like to line individual bowls with butter lettuce for extra crunch and sometimes top it with chicken, turkey or even tuna to make it more substantial. Serve it on its own as a light lunch or alongside almost any main dish you can dream up – especially all things grilled! Some of my favorites to serve it alongside are: Carne Asada, Grilled Lamb Chops or Lamb Kabobs, and Rosemary-Garlic Chicken Kabobs. It’s entirely versatile.
How to Make Greek Salad
Step 1: In a medium bowl, whisk together red wine vinegar and dried oregano. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, whisking until emulsified. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Step 2: Combine tomatoes, cucumbers, red bell pepper, shallot, kalamata olives, feta cheese and capers in a large bowl.
Step 3: Drizzle with desired amount of dressing and toss to coat.
Step 4: Gently toss salad to combine. Serve salad in individual bowls over butter lettuce leaves if desired.
Greek Salad Recipe Video
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano plus more for sprinkling the top if desired
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil or more
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 large plum tomatoes diced
- 2 large cucumbers diced (peeled if necessary)
- 1 large red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 medium shallot thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 24 pitted kalamata olives halved
- 7 ounces feta cheese finely diced or crumbled
- 1 tablespoon capers rinsed and drained
- 5 ounces butter lettuce leaves torn into bite-size pieces, optional
- To make dressing: in a medium bowl, whisk together vinegar and oregano; add olive oil in a slow stream, whisking constantly until emulsified. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large salad bowl combine next 7 ingredients (tomatoes through capers).
- Whisk dressing again and pour desired amount over salad; gently toss to combine. Sprinkle with more dried oregano if desired.
- Optional: If desired, divide butter lettuce evenly between 6 individual salad bowls and top with Greek Salad; serve.