Tabouli salad is easy to make and absolutely delicious! From crisp cucumber, sweet tomatoes, briny olives and bright parsley, every bite is a little different. It’s a classic Levantine dish (also spelled tabbouleh and tabouleh), a vegetarian salad that is loaded with flavor and texture. Bulgur wheat makes the salad hearty enough to make it a main dish and I love to add salty creamy feta to make the salad even better.
Bulgur is a quick-cooking, versatile grain that is very forgiving. You can make it a day ahead, refrigerate it, and when you take it out the next day and fluff it with a fork, it will still be light and delicious. I use it as a base for a variety of salads or make it alone with a swirl of olive oil and a pinch of salt as a simple side dish.
Often Tabouli salad doesn’t include cucumber, tomatoes, olives, and cheese. But, it’s my favorite way to serve it. Give it a try! I’d love to hear what you think.
I like to mince the scallions, parsley, and mint in the food processor – just turn the processor on and add through the shoot. They’ll be perfectly minced in about 5 seconds.
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water or broth
- 1 cup dry bulgur
- 1 teaspoon salt omit if you are using broth
- juice from 1 lemon 2-3 tablespoons
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 scallions finely chopped
- 1/2 cup minced fresh flat leaf parsley
- a dozen or so fresh mint leaves minced
- 1 large tomato coarsely chopped
- 1 cucumber peeled if you like and cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 2-3 ounces crumbled feta my favorite is Valbreso sheep's milk feta
- 12 Greek or kalamata olives pitted and halved
Bring water to boil, add dry bulgur to boiling water or broth, stir. Turn heat off, leaving the pan in place; cover and let stand 25 minutes.
Fluff bulgur with a fork and then allow to cool to room temperature.
Once the bulgur is cool, add salt, lemon juice, and garlic. Stir to combine; cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
About 1/2 hour before you plan to serve this salad, remove the bulgur mixture from the fridge and toss with a fork to lighten and separate. Add remaining ingredients and stir gently to combine. Taste for seasoning – add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Serve.