You experience these Grilled Lamb Chops well before your first juicy bite. The sizzle and flash of orange flame as tender chops meet the hot grill; warm scents of piney rosemary and buttery garlic rise to meet your nose, olive oil shimmers. A gentle turn, a waft of smoke and deep char lines promise that, soon, it will be time to eat.
I have to be honest that I’ve just discovered lamb rib chops in the past few years. I love these Roasted Lamb Chops and they’re still my go to dish for a zero fuss dinner party. But in the summer, I find myself turning to these grilled lamb chops. Note that this recipe is for lamb rib chops. This would certainly work for lamb loin chops, but you’ll want to increase the cooking time by two or three minutes on each side.
You can find lamb rib chops already cut in the grocery store, but I’ve found that it’s less expensive to buy lamb rib roasts and cut them into individual chops with a very sharp knife. To me, the chops seem fresher that way. Look for a roast with straight bones and round, meaty ends.
How long does it take to cook lamb chops on the grill?
If you like your lamb chops cooked to medium-rare (as I do), you’ll grill them on medium-high for 3 to 4 minutes per side until they reach 135°F and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
What is the best seasoning for lamb chops?
Lamb chops are so delicious on their own that they don’t require much seasoning, just olive oil, salt and pepper will do. But I recommend adding garlic and rosemary too for the way they accentuate the flavor of lamb. Fresh thyme and/or oregano would also be delicious!
What to Serve with Grilled Lamb Chops
For a delicious summer meal, serve grilled lamb chops with one of these hearty salads: Tabouli Salad, Spinach Salad or Fattoush Salad. Or for a Mediterranean feast, serve with Homemade Pita Bread, White Bean Hummus, Tzatziki and Greek Salad.
How to Make Grilled Lamb Chops
Step 1: Combine marinade ingredients in a small bowl: olive oil, garlic, fresh rosemary, salt and pepper.
Step 2: Spoon marinade over each lamb chop.
Step 3: Grill over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes per side.
Step 4: Transfer lamb chops to a serving platter and let rest for 10 minutes. Serve.
Grilled Lamb Chops Recipe Video
Grilled Lamb Chops
- 8 lamb chops 1 1/4 inches thick
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespooons chopped fresh rosemary dried rosemary is not a good substitute here
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat your grill or stove top grill pan to medium-high.
- Arrange lamb chops in a single layer on a plate.
- Combine all marinade ingredients (olive oil through pepper) in a small bowl. Spoon this mixture evenly over both sides of lamb chops.
- Grill lamb chops for 3 to 4 minutes on each side to desired doneness, 135°F for medium-rare. Transfer to platter and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Note that this recipe is for lamb rib chops. This would certainly work for lamb loin chops, but you’ll want to increase the cooking time by 2 or 3 minutes on each side.
- You can find lamb rib chops already cut in the grocery store, but I’ve found that it’s less expensive to buy lamb rib roasts and cut them into individual chops with a very sharp knife.
- If you’d like to cook these on the stove top, preheat a grill pan over medium-high and cook as you would on the grill.