Grilled Cauliflower Steaks are tender and juicy inside, charred and lightly smoky on the outside. They'll deliciously satisfy even the most dedicated carnivore.
If you're wondering what sets these apart from other recipes, there's one secret: butter. Just a pat of it just before you take these off the grill to melt into every little crevice and make these irresistible.
Ingredients You Need to Make Grilled Cauliflower Steaks
- Large Cauliflower Heads: You'll need 2 large heads of cauliflower for 4 thick steaks. Look for tight, bright white heads that are heavy for their size.
- Olive Oil: Any variety that you have on hand will work here.
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Butter: If you use unsalted butter, finish with an extra sprinkle of kosher salt.
- Lemon: To serve in wedges, optional.
Options for Leftover Cauliflower Florets
You'll get two, thick and beautiful cauliflower steaks from one large head of cauliflower. This means that you'll end up with leftover florets. Fortunately there are infinite cauliflower recipes to make good use of them. Here are a few ideas:
- Leave them in large pieces and grill them along with the steaks. (Use a grill basket if you end up with small florets.)
- Save them for another day to make Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower or simply steam or pan fry them for a simple side dish.
- Whirl them in your food processor to make 'rice' for Cauliflower Fried Rice.
- Steam them to make mashed cauliflower, which would be excellent served as a bed for these Grilled Cauliflower Steaks!
Though wonderful prepared simply, these cauliflower steaks have endless options for embellishment.
- Brush the steaks with BBQ sauce in the last few minutes of grilling.
- Add extra seasoning like smoked paprika, parmesan cheese, fresh lemon juice, lemon zest, and/or fresh cilantro.
- Smash an anchovy filet or two into the butter before adding it at the end (my favorite!).
- Or make these naturally gluten free steaks vegan and dairy free by finishing with a drizzle of good olive oil instead of butter.
A cauliflower steak is a thick slice of raw cauliflower, cut from the center of a cauliflower head, leaving the stem intact. You can get two thick slices (steaks) from one large head of cauliflower.
You'll know when cauliflower is cooked when a sharp knife pierces easily into the flesh. Take care not to over cook cauliflower as it can turn mushy and unpleasant. You want the texture to retain some bite.
What to Serve Alongside
- Grilled Lamb Chops (Juicy, flavorful and made in minutes!)
- Chicken Kabobs (With rosemary and garlic, these are a summer staple in our house.)
- Carne Asada (Melt in your mouth tender and deeply flavorful!)
- Grilled Swordfish (Topped with a vibrant Green Olive Tapenade.)
- Grilled Green Beans (Or Grilled Fennel or Grilled Bok Choy. Why not make a hearty meal of just grilled veggies!?)
- Checca Sauce with Spaghetti (Tender pasta tossed with a raw sauce using summer peak tomatoes!)
How to Make Grilled Cauliflower Steaks
Step 1: Cut two 1 to 1 ½-inch slices from the center of two large cauliflower heads. Brush the sides of each steak with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Step 2: Grill cauliflower steaks over medium heat until tender inside; 7 minutes on the first side and 5 to 7 minutes on the second side. Top each steak with a butter pat 1 minute before removing from grill. Transfer to platter and serve immediately.
Grilled Cauliflower Steaks
- 2 large heads cauliflower
- ¼ cup olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- fresh lemon wedges optional
- fresh parsley chopped, for garnish
- Trim leaves from cauliflower heads and slice off just enough of the stem so the head will sit flat.
- Place one cauliflower head upright on a cutting board and starting at the center cut in half from the top straight down with a sharp knife. Cut 1 to 1 ½ inch thick slices from each half, leaving the stem intact. Repeat with second cauliflower head so you have 4 equal steaks. (Reserve remaining cauliflower for another use. See recipe note #1)
- Heat a gas or charcoal grill to medium.
- Brush each side of cauliflower steaks with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Grill cauliflower steaks for 7 minutes on the first side to develop visible grill marks. Gently flip with tongs and grill 5 to 7 minutes more to your desired tenderness. During the last minute of grilling, top each steak with a pat of butter to melt into all of the crevices. Transfer to platter along with lemon wedges (optional), and garnish with parsley; serve immediately.
- You can leave the remaining cauliflower florets in large pieces to grill along with the steaks. Or make cauliflower mash to serve under the grilled steaks for a main dish.