White bean hummus is thick and ultra-creamy with delicate garlic heat, earthy parsley, silky tahini and zesty lemon! You can make it in 10 minutes flat and it's the perfect dip for raw vegetables or fresh pita (made with this easy pita bread recipe) and makes a delicious spread for Lavosh Crackers, wraps, and sandwiches.
Most hummus recipes call for chickpeas (garbanzo beans), in fact the word 'hummus' comes from the Arabic word meaning 'chickpeas.' But white bean hummus is equally delicious and convenient if you happen to have white beans on hand or have someone among your friends or family who is allergic to chickpeas.
Ingredients You Need to Make White Bean Hummus
- Cooked Cannellini Beans: canned beans or cooked, dry beans
- Fresh Cloves of Garlic
- Fresh Parsley: flat leaf parsley (Italian parsley)
- Green Onion
- Tahini: raw tahini or toasted tahini, your choice!
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Olive Oil: good quality, extra-virgin olive oil
Optional Step: Cook Your Own Beans (It's easy!)
Instead of using canned beans, I recommend cooking dried white beans in a slow cooker for the best hummus texture. It's really simple and leftover beans may come in handy to toss into a soup or salad and they freeze beautifully.
The ratio for making delicious beans in your slow cooker is simple – 3 tablespoons of salt dissolved into 4 quarts of water and 1 pound of dry beans. Soak the cannellini beans in the salty water overnight; drain and rinse the next morning. Transfer the beans to the bowl of a slow cooker and add enough fresh water to cover them by about an inch; cook on low until tender. The cooking time depends on the age of your dried beans, but will typically take 5 to 6 hours.
Once you have all of your ingredients in the food processor, whirl them for a full two minutes to get that coveted silky, creamy hummus texture.
Pairs Well With
This is a perfect appetizer and pairs well with other Mediterranean Recipes with main dishes like Tabouli Salad, Greek Salad (or Greek Farro Salad), Lamb Shawarma, Grilled Lamb Chops or Lamb Burgers and alongside other appetizers like Green Olive Tapenade, Baba Ganoush, Tzatziki and Grilled Halloumi.
White Bean Hummus Recipe Video
White Bean Hummus
- 2 medium cloves garlic
- 1 small handful fresh parsley about ⅓ cup
- 1 green onion cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 ½ cups cooked cannellini beans or 1 15-½ ounce can cannellini beans, drained
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice about ½ lemon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- With a food processor running, add garlic, parsley and scallion. Process until minced – about 15 seconds.
- Add remaining ingredients and process until smooth and creamy, a full 2 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.