If you’ve eaten a lamb shawarma from a Mediterranean restaurant, you might think it’s too complicated to make at home. I’m here to convince you otherwise! Every component of these pita bread sandwiches is simple to make and delicious on its own, but combine them and you’ll have a spectacularly delicious meal.
Imagine your own homemade pita bread (made with this easy pita bread recipe), warm from the oven, stacked high with crunchy lettuce, silky homemade tzatziki sauce, sweet tangy pickled red onions, tender slices of cumin lamb and creamy feta. Is your mouth watering yet?
I love the versatility of lamb shawarma components; serve each item separately and let everyone build their own creation. Some people will tear off a bite of pita bread and top it with tzatziki sauce and a sprinkle of pickled red onion. Their next bite might be pita bread topped with lamb and feta. Or they’ll skip the pita bread and wrap lamb, tzatziki and pickled onions in a big lettuce leaf. You get the idea: anything goes. And some creamy white bean hummus and a big Greek Salad would be at home in this spread too.
How to Make Lamb Shawarma
To prepare this meal easily, you need a game plan.
One day before:
- Make your pita bread dough (10-15 minutes) and refrigerate overnight to rise.
- Strain yogurt and cucumbers overnight for your tzatziki sauce. (10 minutes)
- Make quick pickled red onions. (5 minutes)
The day of:
- Roll out and bake homemade pita with this easy pita bread recipe. (15-20 minutes) Note: Let covered dough come to room temperature before rolling it out.
- Finish making tzatziki sauce. (5 minutes)
- Prepare Easy Cumin Lamb. (25 minutes)
- Make White Bean Hummus (optional but recommended!) (5-10 minutes)
One Day Ahead:
- If making homemade pita bread, make dough and refrigerate.
- Drain yogurt and cucumber as directed in steps 1 and 2 of Tzatziki recipe.
- Make Quick Pickled Red Onions.
The Day Of:
- Roll out and bake pita breads as instructed in recipe.
- Finish Tzatziki sauce.
- Prepare Easy Cumin Lamb.
To Assemble Lamb Shawarmas:
- Place one lettuce leaf on a pita bread. Spread with a generous amount of tzatziki and top with several rings of pickled red onion. Top with 1/4 of the cumin lamb and sprinkle with 1/4 of the feta cheese. Repeat with remaining pita breads and serve.