Quick Pickled Red Onions – just 5 minutes of active time. Many pickled onion recipes call for sugar, but these are honey sweetened, giving them an extra depth of flavor.
Quick pickled red onions are something I love to have on hand to add a little sparkle to green salads and bean salads, burgers and pita sandwiches (made with this pita bread recipe) – especially Lamb Shawarma. When I discovered how easy they are to make, I’ve never looked back. (Just like my Refrigerator Pickles and Pickled Beets!)
I started with a simple recipe from Bon Appétit and swapped in honey for sugar. I also increased the pickling time to overnight instead of just an hour, giving the onions plenty of time to soften and soak up all that delicious tangy sweetness. To make these, you don’t even need to turn on the stove. Just whisk the brine together and pour over thinly sliced red onion, cover and marinate overnight. You’ll have delicious quick pickled red onions to use in everything for up to two weeks, but good luck with them lasting that long!
Quick Pickled Red Onions
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Place onion in a bowl (ideally with a lid).
- Whisk together water, vinegar, honey and salt until honey and salt are dissolved; pour over onion and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight before serving.