Every spring I look forward to making Pickled Asparagus with this easy and versatile recipe! It takes less than 20 minutes to make and is ready enjoy the next day!
With their tangy, delicious crunch, pickled asparagus spears make a great, low-calorie snack (about 7 calories a spear). They add instant sparkle to some of my favorite salads like Crab Salad, Corn Salad, and Nicoise Salad.
I typically keep the brine simple, just: white vinegar, water, kosher salt, sugar, peppercorns, halved garlic cloves, and plenty of fresh dill (similar to my favorite easy Refrigerator Pickles and Pickled Radishes where you don’t even boil the pickling liquid!). But you can add any herbs and spices you like: mustard seeds, fresh tarragon. And for spicy pickled asparagus (perfect garnish for a Bloody Mary) add dried chiles, sliced jalapeño, and/or crushed red pepper flakes.
4 Tips for Perfect Pickled Asparagus
- If you like to have long, slender spears (like I do), these tall, cylindrical 1 liter jars are perfect for a pound of asparagus (20-30 standard spears). You can also use a standard quart-size canning jar, but you’ll need to either trim more from the bottom of the spears or trim them normally and then cut in half crosswise.
- I recommend inserting the spears bottom-side up into the jar so they’re easy to remove without smashing the delicate tips.
- For delectably tender-crisp asparagus spears, be sure that your brine is still hot when carefully pouring over the raw asparagus spears packed into the jar.
- After just 24 hours, pickled asparagus is ready to eat, but will be even more delicious after about 3 days.
How to Make Pickled Asparagus
Step 1: Place peppercorns, garlic cloves and fresh dill sprigs in the bottom of a sterilized, 1 quart or 1 liter canning jar.
Step 2: Trim asparagus bottoms and place bottom-side up in jar.
Step 3: In a medium sauce pan bring vinegar, water, kosher salt and sugar to boil.
Step 4: Carefully pour hot brine over asparagus spears in jar. Let cool and refrigerate 24 hours or more. Enjoy!
Pickled Asparagus Recipe Video
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and cut in half lengthwise
- 4 fresh dill sprigs
- 1 pound fresh asparagus 20-30 medium spears
- 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- Trim bottom of asparagus spears to fit in a 1-quart sterilized canning jar
- Trim off bottom of asparagus spears (cut in half crosswise to fit if needed) and place in jar, bottom side down.
- Add vinegar, water, kosher salt and sugar to a medium saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring until salt and sugar have dissolved.
- Carefully pour hot vinegar mixture over over asparagus, filling to 1/2-inch from the top. Let cool then cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. Enjoy within 1 month.