Spicy grilled shrimp are easy to assemble and cook in about 5 minutes. A simple marinade of cilantro with a kick of cayenne pepper make these a delicious and spicy-as-you-like addition to summer meals. String the shrimp onto two skewers to them very easy to turn on the grill.
When I asked about the recipe for these spicy grilled shrimp, I was certain that Christian had forgotten something. “Just olive oil, cilantro, cayenne, salt and pepper,” he assured me. I believed him (mostly), but when it came to making them, I was tempted to tamper with the recipe – add a little garlic or perhaps some lemon juice. I resisted and, if you’re similarly inclined, you should too.
These shrimp were piled high on a platter next to grilled artichoke halves with homemade mayonnaise, Mexican corn on the cob, dry rub ribs and pulled pork with all of the trimmings. We were at our friends Christian and Christen’s house, there to celebrate their beautiful, sweet daughter Sidney’s high school graduation. And let me just say, these people know how to throw a party.
On a recent weeknight, we made these as the main course of a simple dinner – on the table in about 20 minutes – all cooked on the grill: shrimp, Mexican Street Corn, and Grilled Green Beans. If you’re serving people who don’t care for shrimp, pair with Carne Asada, Grilled Lamb Chops, Chicken Kabobs or Lamb Kabobs, and a hearty side like Grilled Cauliflower Steaks, Corn Salad, Zucchini Salad, Watermelon and Arugula Salad, Greek Salad, or Tabouli Salad. Or, maybe even better, pile them into Grilled Shrimp Tacos or on a Mexican Street Corn salad for quintessential summer meals.
If you’re making this shrimp recipe in the fall or winter, grill shrimp on a stovetop grill pan instead of your outdoor bbq.
Grilled Shrimp Recipe Video
Spicy Grilled Shrimp
- 10 9-inch bamboo skewers soaked in water 15-30 minutes
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or more
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound medium or large shrimp peeled except for the tail and deveined
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cilantro, salt, pepper, cayenne and olive oil. Add shrimp and gently toss to coat.
- Run one skewer through the fattest part of 7 or 8 shrimp (depending on shrimp size), nesting the shrimp so they are curved in the same direction. Run a second skewer through all of the shrimp near the tail. Adjust shrimp, giving each a little space, to help them cook evenly. Repeat with remaining shrimp and skewers.
- Grill 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until shrimp are pink and just cooked through. Transfer to platter and serve.