This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
If you want a dead simple, blow-your-hair-back meal for your next summer get-together, this Mexican Street Corn Salad is it! Here’s why: you can prep and cook the whole meal in 30-45 minutes, it easily scales to the number of people you’re serving and it tastes like summer vacation served up on a platter.
This combines a couple of recipes on this blog: Grilled Mexican Corn on the Cob and Spicy Grilled Shrimp (optional), but piled on the same plate over a creamy, spicy cabbage and jalapeño slaw. If you’re not a shrimp fan, make Carne Asada or Rosemary-Garlic Chicken Kabobs instead. Serve as is, an entirely satisfying meal on its own!
If you go for the grilled shrimp version, grilling the corn and shrimp together (and for nearly the same amount of time) makes this meal come together quickly. You’ll let the shrimp rest while you cut the kernels off of the corn cobs – much less splatter than cutting kernels off of raw cobs (though it’s worth it for this Corn Salad!). (Discard the cobs or make corn stock, perfect for summer soups.) If you serve it alongside Carne Asada or Chicken Kabobs, you’ll want to grill them a few minutes before you start the corn.
The cool and crunchy salad base is a mixture of thinly sliced green and purple cabbage, red bell pepper, chopped cilantro and green onions, and minced jalapeño. And the mixture you slather onto Mexican street corn makes a perfect spicy/creamy dressing, and you can always mix it up with Jalapeño Ranch Dressing instead!.
If you’re planning to grill this summer, I hope you’ll give this Mexican Street Corn Salad a try! (And my Mexican Chopped Salad too!)
Mexican Street Corn Salad
For the Corn:
- 4 ears sweet corn husks and silks removed
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
To Make the Dressing:
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- juice of 1 lime about 1/4 cup
- sea salt to taste
For the Slaw:
- 1/2 pound purple cabbage thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound green cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeño seeded and minced
- 4 green onions finely chopped
- 2 ounces cotija cheese crumbled
- chopped cilantro optional
- finely chopped green onions optional
- Preheat grill and a grill pan on medium-high.
- Rub ears of corn generously with cold butter (easier to coat the raw ears of corn evenly). Set aside.
- Whisk first four dressing ingredients together (mayonnaise through lime juice) in a medium bowl; add salt to taste.
- Mix all slaw ingredients in a large bowl. Add desired amount of dressing (save some to drizzle over corn) and toss to coat.
- Grill corn for 8 to 10 minutes, until tender, turning a couple of times to char evenly. Remove from grill and allow to cool slightly.
- When corn is cool enough to handle, carefully cut kernels off with a sharp knife.
- To serve: spread slaw evenly on a serving platter and top with corn kernels in an even layer. Drizzle dressing over corn. Sprinkle crumbled cotija evenly over salad and garnish with cilantro and green onions if desired. Serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.