When I think about my favorite picnic and potluck salads, this Chicken Salad with Grapes is one of the first that comes to mind. Tender chunks of chicken, sweet grapes, crunchy celery, dried apricots, and toasted almonds are tossed in a creamy, yogurt based dressing with hints of apricot preserves and dijon mustard.
My go-to Curry Chicken Salad inspired this recipe. I amped up the apricot flavor with bits of dried apricot and swapped in whole grain mustard for the curry powder and crunchy almonds for cashews. Every bite is a jumble of salty, savory, sweet, and creamy as a good chicken salad should be.
You can use a rotisserie chicken or any leftover chicken for this salad, but I recommend using this Shredded Chicken recipe to make your own. It's ridiculously easy and the chicken comes out melt-in-your-mouth tender. Just chop the chicken instead of shredding it and you'll have a bonus of concentrated chicken broth to use or freeze for something else.
My choice for dried apricots is the unsulphered variety. I know they're not as pretty to look at, but they taste better and tend to have a better texture. Plus, no preservatives! And I've called for roasted and salted almonds because I love how that salty crunch pairs with sweet, chewy bits of apricot, but feel free to use unsalted almonds if you prefer.
Share this Chicken Salad with Grapes with friends and family at your next get together, and I predict it will become one of your favorites too!
How to Make Chicken Salad with Grapes
Step 1: Whisk together yogurt, mustard and apricot preserves until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Step 2: Combine chicken, grapes, almonds, dried apricots, and celery in a large salad bowl. Add dressing and gently toss to combine. Refrigerate 30 minutes or more before serving.
Chicken Salad with Grapes
For the Dressing
- 1 cup plain, whole milk yogurt see recipe note #1
- 2 teaspoons whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves see recipe note #2
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the Salad
- 1 pound cooled chicken breast cooked, cut into 1" pieces, see recipe note #3
- ½ pound red or green seedless grapes
- 3 ounces roasted and salted almonds coarsely chopped
- 10 dried apricots diced small, see recipe note #4
- 4 ribs celery coarsely chopped
- butter lettuce leaves or romaine leaves, for serving (optional)
- minced chives for garnish (optional)
- To make the dressing, whisk yogurt and mustard together in a small bowl. Add apricot preserves and whisk until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken, grapes, almonds, apricots, and celery to a large serving bowl. Spoon dressing over and gently stir to combine ingredients and coat evenly. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to meld.
- Serve as is or scooped over leaves of butter or romaine lettuce and sprinkle with chives if desired.
- For a richer dressing, use half yogurt and half mayonnaise.
- Look for apricot preserves with "apricots" as the first ingredient, not sugar or high fructose corn syrup.
- I recommend making this easy Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken recipe and chopping instead of shredding the chicken. You'll need 2 bone in, skin on chicken breasts, each weighing about 1 ¼ pounds (2 ½ pounds total) to yield 1 pound of cooked chicken breast.
- I prefer unsulphured dried apricots for their texture and flavor. (Even if they're not as pretty to look at. 😉 )