I first made this Curry Chicken Salad for a friend’s baby shower. My friend’s ‘baby’ is now a teenager and still, for me, this salad is a go-to dish for picnics, celebrations, and even weekday lunches.
It’s the flavor combination of this curried chicken salad: spicy, salty, and sweet, that keeps me coming back. And I love how every bite is different.
It’s unusual for this kind of salad to be so light. Often curry chicken salad is goopy and the flavor is all about the dressing. This one is flavor-rich without the goop. The dressing is just yogurt, curry powder, apricot preserves, salt and freshly ground black pepper: creamy and subtle. Instead the buttery cashews, tangy-sweet grapes, tender chicken and crunchy celery are the focus flavors.
You can make enough to last for a few days, but you’ll want to store the ingredients and dressing separately. Mix everything together just before you serve. This makes it perfect for a desk lunch, quick weeknight dinner, or get-together dinner contribution.
More Must-Try Salad Recipes
- Strawberry Spinach Salad (Loaded with sweet strawberries, pecans and creamy goat cheese!)
- Spinach Salad with Bacon (This one has been a favorite in my family for decades!)
- Corn Salad (When corn is in season, we eat this salad on repeat!)
- Zucchini Salad (It took me about a dozen tries to perfect this recipe! SO GOOD!)
How to Make Curry Chicken Salad
Step 1: Whisk yogurt and curry powder together in a small bowl. Add apricot preserves and whisk until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Step 2: When you’re ready to eat, combine chicken, grapes, cashews, and celery in a serving bowl. Pour dressing over and gently stir to coat. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Serve.
Curry Chicken Salad Recipe Video
Curry Chicken Salad
For the Dressing
- 1 cup plain, whole milk yogurt
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Salad
- 1 pound cooled chicken breast cooked, cut into 1″ pieces (baked, barbecued, or poached in salted water)
- 1/2 pound red or green seedless grapes
- 4 ounces roasted cashews
- 4 ribs celery coarsely chopped
- 16 leaves butter lettuce or romaine (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced chives (optional)
- To make the dressing, whisk yogurt and curry powder together in a small bowl. Add apricot preserves and whisk until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Combine chicken, grapes, cashews, and celery in a serving bowl. Pour dressing over and gently stir to coat. Serve as is or scooped over leaves of butter or romaine lettuce and sprinkle with chives. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to meld. Serve.