So you've followed the BEST English Muffin Recipe and you have fresh, homemade English Muffins. Hmmm, what to do? Make English Muffin Breakfast Sandwiches with bacon, fried egg and cheddar of course!
I've written this recipe for one breakfast sandwich, but it's easily scalable to feed the number of hungry people that you happen to have (like Welsh Rarebit). They're very easy to assemble: perfect for one, a couple, a whole family or a crowd when you have overnight guests who enjoy a hearty breakfast!
English Muffin Breakfast Sandwich
- 4 English muffins ideally homemade English Muffins
- 8 bacon slices
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil for frying eggs
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup small handful baby arugula rinsed and dried
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Place an oven safe rack in a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil (for easy cleanup) and arrange bacon slices in a single layer, leaving a gap between each slice. Bake for 15 to 25, (depending on how crispy you like your bacon); transfer bacon to paper towel lined plate. Leave oven on.
- Meanwhile, slice English muffins in half crosswise and place cut side up onto rimmed baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper. Divide cheese equally between halves. Place in oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- While cheese melts, fry eggs in a large non-stick skillet in butter or olive oil to desired doneness. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To assemble sandwich: place bottom half of English muffin on a serving plate and top with bacon, fried egg, and arugula. Top with remaining muffin halves and serve.