This post may contain affiliate links.
I don't think I've mentioned that I have a thing for sour candy. Give me a good movie, a bowl of buttery popcorn, and some Sour Patch Kids and I'm in heaven. So it's no surprise that I like grapefruit - sweet and sour at once. But then imagine grapefruit, well the peels anyway, boiled with spicy sweet ginger slices and honey for two hours. And to finish, rolled in more sugar.
Sour Patch Kids, eat your heart out.
When I started dreaming of these ginger and honey candied grapefruit peels, I hadn't considered the added bonuses of candied ginger slices and a lovely honey/grapefruit/ginger syrup for sweetening my tea. But that's just what I got and the recipe couldn't be simpler.
When you quarter a grapefruit, it's very easy to remove the peel. You get one of the corners separated from the flesh and then, with a spoon, you can pry out the fruit in about two seconds. A sharp knife is helpful to thinly slice the peels and ginger thin and then your work is nearly done.
Honey Ginger Candied Grapefruit Peels
- 2 large ruby red grapefruits
- 2 ½ cups natural cane sugar divided
- ½ cup honey
- 2 2-inch pieces fresh ginger peeled and very thinly sliced
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place a cooling rack inside. Set aside.
- Cut each grapefruit in quarters, from top to bottom. (reserve for another use or eat them now!)
- Separate one corner of peel from flesh and use a spoon to pry out the fruit. Repeat with remaining quarters.
- With a sharp knife, cut the the peels into long, thin strips.
- Place the peels in a medium sauce pan and add enough cold water to cover. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Drain. Repeat this process twice more.
- Remove the peels from the pan and add 2 cups water, sugar, and honey; bring to boil. Stir in grapefruit peels and ginger slices; reduce heat to low. Simmer on low for 1 ½ to 2 hours until grapefruit peels are translucent. Remove from heat.
- With a slotted spoon, lift peels and ginger slices from syrup and arrange on cooling rack so that all have space between.
- Allow to dry for a few hours or even overnight.
- Scoop remaining ½ cup sugar into a bowl. Add grapefruit peels and ginger slices a few at a time, pressing them in to the sugar to coat.
- Store at room temperature in an air tight container.