A fresh take on Kale Caesar Salad! Thin and tender ribbons of Italian kale tossed with a simple, creamy dressing (that doesn't require a raw egg), shredded parmesan cheese and crunchy garlic and olive oil breadcrumbs instead of croutons.
You've probably noticed that I'm a big kale salad fan. Like this one that tastes just like a BLT, or this one with almonds and a warm garlic and raisin vinaigrette, or this one with farro, pecans and a whole variety of raw vegetables (that also involves a peanut butter massage). I'm also a big fan of Caesar Salad so I decided to work on a Kale Caesar Salad recipe that would capture the best elements of both.
I love traditional Caesar dressing with a raw egg yolk base, but subbing mayonnaise here makes the dressing simpler to prepare. As does using anchovy paste in place of anchovy filets. And apparently I have something against typical croutons because there are giant croutons in this Caesar Salad with homemade Caesar Dressing and Crispy Capers and in this salad, the croutons are miniature. Toasting panko breadcrumbs and garlic in olive oil ensures that you have crouton-style crunch in every bite.
Using a food processor's slicing blade makes quick work of slicing the kale into ribbons, but a sharp knife will also work nicely. This makes enough for a very hearty lunch for two or an ample side salad for four.
Kale Caesar Salad
For the dressing:
For the 'croutons':
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- ⅓ cup panko breadcrumbs
- pinch kosher salt
For the salad:
- 1 bunch Italian kale sliced crosswise into thin ribbons
- 1 ounce shredded Parmesan cheese
- To make dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together first 5 dressing ingredients (lemon juice through anchovy paste) until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and garlic; cook and stir just until fragrant. Sprinkle in panko breadcrumbs; cook and stir until garlic and breadcrumbs are golden brown. Season with kosher salt and transfer to a small bowl (mixture could burn if left in the hot skillet).
- Place kale ribbons in a large serving bowl. Pour dressing over and add ⅔ of toasted breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese; toss to coat evenly. Sprinkle with remaining breadcrumbs and cheese. Serve.