This post may contain affiliate links.
Three o'clock limps in some afternoons and makes my belly rumble. Maybe you know the feeling?
It doesn't take a lot to keep me comfortable until dinner, usually a piece of fruit or a palm full of roasted nuts. But a few days ago, I wearied of my routine and came up with these - 2 or 3 bites of bliss that I want to share with you.
I had in mind something healthful and light with a hint of indulgence. I'm not much for calorie counting, but did the math and each bite is about 100 calories. Not bad, right? And they're quick - they'll be chilling in less than half an hour. There's no baking involved, just a few ingredients stirred together, pressed into ice cube trays, then topped with simple chocolate ganache and a sprinkle of flaky sea salt.
Silicone trays work great for these. Like cutting pie, the first cube is the trickiest and the rest slide right out. If you don't have silicone trays, any ice cube tray will do; just use a knife along the sides of each bite and gently pry it out. At worst you'll have to pat the cube back into shape.
Think of this recipe as a flexible framework. Be creative with your own additions: dates, dried pineapple, dried cherries, toasted coconut, candied ginger, almond or hazelnut butter... If you try something new, I'd love to hear about it.
And if you love the combination of peanut butter and oatmeal, these Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies are an absolute must try recipe!
Peanut, Oat & Apricot Bites with Salted Chocolate
- ½ cup chunky peanut butter
- ⅓ cup honey
- ½ teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 5 dried unsulfured apricots diced into ¼" chunks
- 4 ounces good quality dark chocolate chopped (or chips)
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- flaky sea salt such as Maldon
- Combine peanut butter, honey, and vanilla in a medium bowl; stir. Add oats and apricots; stir until thoroughly combined. Scoop mixture into individual sections of a silicone or regular ice cube tray. Press firmly to form cubes.
- Combine the chocolate and cream in a glass bowl; place over a pan of simmering water. Stir constantly until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth, about 3 minutes. Spoon the chocolate mixture over each bite and smooth with a spatula. Lightly sprinkle the top of each bite with flaky sea salt. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour until chocolate is firm. Remove bites from trays, transfer to a covered container and refrigerate until you’re ready to eat.