Pina Colada Popsicles – a simple and delicious summer treat that you can make with or without rum!
I’m not one to have any kind of alcohol during the day. But years ago we spent a couple of weeks in Maui and suddenly a pineapple and umbrella garnished Piña Colada seemed like a perfectly reasonable lunch beverage. Fortunately I didn’t take that habit home with me, but even now Piña Coladas remind me of sun, sea and relaxation.
So when my friend Faith sent me a copy of her new book, BLEND smoothies, the Piña Colada smoothie was the first recipe I tried. And since it’s the middle of summer, I decided to freeze the smoothie as mini Piña Colada popsicles (booze optional).
There are 34 other smoothie recipes left to try in this terrific book. It’s a collaboration between Faith of An Edible Mosaic and Alyssa of Everyday Maven. Faith did a lovely job of photographing each smoothie and the recipes are separated into several helpful categories from quick and healthy to decadent!
My favorite popsicle molds are actually 2-ounce shot glasses. To me they’re the perfect size – 6 or 7 bites of frozen goodness. To remove them from the glasses once they’re frozen, just run a little warm water over the outside of the glass and give the popsicle stick a gentle twist.
Congratulations Faith and Alyssa on your beautiful book! I’ll be enjoying recipes from it all summer long.
- 3/4 cup canned light coconut milk 185ml
- 3/4 cup cubed pineapple frozen, 4.5 oz/125 g
- 1/2 medium banana peeled, broken into a few pieces and frozen
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 tablespoon rum optional
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into popsicle molds or 2-ounce shot glasses (these are my favorite)
- Place popsicle stick into each glass or mold section and freeze until solid. Serve.