Even though I love pork belly ramen, I'm not crazy about soggy pork belly. I want it to still have a little chew and be crispy on the edges! In this pork belly ramen recipe, I use homemade ramen noodles (optional), and my super simple Oven Roasted Crispy Pork Belly that's crisped up just before adding to the soup. The broth is delicate with hints of ginger, soy sauce and sesame oil and soft cooked eggs. For flavor, texture, and to make the soup more nutritious, I add some baby bok choy and garnish with fresh cilantro, green onions and Thai basil. Then a bit of sriracha for kick! It's the perfect bowl of ramen!
Pork belly ramen is one of those magical meals that leaves you wondering why all recipes can't be that easy and taste that good. The flavors are incredibly complex and every bite is different. Once you've cooked your pork belly and made your ramen noodles, this soup comes together in just a few minutes. For me, there are a few essentials: pork belly quickly crisped up in a pan and added to the soup just before serving, perfectly cooked egg halves on top and fresh herbs for the top like Thai basil, cilantro and green onions.
Tip: Steaming eggs for 8 minutes is perfect! Put the eggs in the steamer basket after the water is boiling.
If you haven't tried my crispy pork belly recipe yet, promise me you will! It will take you 5 minutes to put it together. (Or make my easy Korean Pork Belly or Chashu Pork, an essential topping in any ramen house!) You can also swap in Miso Ramen Broth or Shoyu Ramen Broth and try my easy Soy Sauce Eggs for another traditional ramen topper!
Pork Belly Ramen
- 6 cups chicken stock
- ½ recipe Oven Roasted Crispy Pork Belly
- ½ recipe Homemade Ramen Noodles
- 2 heads baby bok choy sliced crosswise into thin ribbons
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 4 large eggs cooked to your desired doneness, halved
- sriracha as desired
- green onions chopped, as desired
- fresh cilantro chopped, as desired
- Thai Basil chopped, as desired
- Bring chicken stock to boil.
- Meanwhile, slice Oven Roasted Crispy Pork Belly (or other cooked pork belly) into ⅛-inch lengthwise slices. Place in a skillet over medium heat and fry until edges are crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet to a paper towel to drain.
- Add ramen noodles to boiling broth and cook one minute (longer if you're using dried ramen noodles). After one minute add bok choy and ginger; bring to boil and cook one minute more. Remove from heat and stir in soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Divide ramen between 4 bowls. Top each with two egg halves, ¼ of pork belly and desired amounts of sriracha, green onions, cilantro and basil. Serve.