Does anything say ‘spring’ more than asparagus? It’s a vegetable that I’ll gladly eat five times a week when it’s in season – not exaggerating. I typically blanch the tender spears in some boiling water and eat them doused in good olive oil and sprinkled with salt. But this asparagus dish is all dressed up with grated eggs and capers, ready for a party!
And this isn’t just any party, it’s a baby shower for the lovely Michelle of Healthy Recipe Ecstasy.
In early March, Michelle and her husband Alasdair had a beautiful baby boy, Alexander. Based on the fabulous dishes that Michelle posts on her blog, he should be one happy, healthy little guy!
This is a shower of the virtual variety, but with so many lovely dishes, I for one, wish it were in-person!
If you’re planning a baby shower, or any spring party, you’ll love this menu full of healthy recipes that don’t sacrifice flavor!
Asparagus Tomato Crostini with Fresh Mint and Chives, by Robyn of Simply Fresh Dinners
Manchego Cheese Fritters with Honey Mustard Ranch, by Justine of Cooking and Beer
Strawberry Bruschetta with Raspberry Balsalmic Vinegar, by Jenny of The NY Melrose Family
Mahi Mahi with Dragon Fruit-Pineapple Salsa, by Christine of No Gojis, No Glory
Curried Fish Tacos with Cabbage and Carrot Slaw, by Maggie of Omnivore’s Cookbook
Spicy Asian Chicken Puff Pastry Bites with Hoisin Peanut Sauce, by Lauren of Climbing Grier Mountain
Kimchi Salmon and Rainbow Pickles, by Bobbi of Bam’s Kitchen
Chipotle Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos, by Margaret of Natural Chow
Asian Jerk Meatball Wraps, by Lisa of Healthy Nibbles & Bits
Warm Corn Salad, by Michelle of The Complete Savorist
Roasted Cauliflower and Pearl Barley Bowls with Creamy Tahini-Dill Dressing, by Faith of An Edible Mosaic
Asparagus with Grated Egg and Capers, recipe below!
Grilled Sweet Potato & Cauliflower Salad with Coconut Curry Almond Butter Vinaigrette, by Taylor of Food Faith Fitness
Strawberry Spinach Salad, by Sara of Bitz & Giggles
Vanilla Bean Greek Yogurt Cheesecake with a Cookie Dough Crust, by Michelle of Vitamin Sunshine
Coconut Sorbet, by Serene of House of Yumm
Almond and Caramel Date Tart with Chocolate Ganache (Vegan and Gluten-Free), by Aida of The Crafting Foodie
And if that menu wasn’t enough, how about a giveaway?! The shower attendees have chipped in for a new KitchenAid Blender! Enter below.
- 3 eggs
- 2 pounds asparagus, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- coarse sea salt, such as Maldon
- freshly ground black pepper
- Add eggs to a small saucepan and cover with cold water; bring to boil. Remove from heat, cover and set your timer for 9 minutes. Drain eggs and cover with cold water, let sit for a few minutes and then peel. Grate eggs on a coarse cheese grater or very finely chop with a sharp knife.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Meanwhile, with your hands, snap the tough, woody ends off of the asparagus.
- Add asparagus spears to boiling water and cook two minutes, just until crisp-tender and bright green. Drain and arrange on platter. Drizzle olive oil over asparagus and top with the grated eggs and capers. Season to taste with coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve.