This post may contain affiliate links.
With just three ingredients plus salt and pepper and 15 minutes of prep you can make juicy, flavorful Bacon Wrapped Asparagus in the oven. Enjoy these asparagus bundles wrapped in salty, smoky bacon as a crowd pleasing appetizer or delicious side dish.
Follow the simple tips and techniques in this recipe and you'll never have overcooked asparagus or soggy bacon. Adjust the recipe to suit your exact tastes.
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Ingredients
- Asparagus: ideally asparagus spears of similar size
- Olive Oil: extra virgin olive oil
- Bacon: ideally thin bacon strips
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Pro Tips and Recipe Options
- If you like really crispy bacon, be sure to use thin bacon slices. You also have the option to give the bacon a head start. See this Bacon Wrapped Shrimp for how to partially cook bacon.
- For meatier, leaner bundles, use thin, center cut bacon.
- If you prefer crisp tender asparagus, partially use the technique above to precook the bacon and reduce the roasting time by a few minutes until the asparagus is cooked to your liking and the bacon is crisp.
- For thicker stalks of asparagus, you may need to add 1-2 minutes to the baking time.
When asparagus is tender it will become a deeper shade of green with lightly brown and crispy tips. For spears that still have some crunch, remove from the oven before the tips start to crisp.
425˚F is the ideal oven temperature for cooking asparagus bundles wrapped in bacon.
You can refrigerate leftover bacon wrapped asparagus bundles for up to 2 days. Enjoy them chopped up, warmed in a skillet and tossed with hot pasta or with scrambled eggs and a little cheese.
Cook it in the oven with this simple recipe or on your grill with this Grilled Bacon Wrapped Asparagus recipe.
Try These Other Asparagus and Bacon Recipes
- Lemon Garlic Asparagus
- Bacon Wrapped Green Beans
- Asparagus Nicoise Salad
- Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
- Bacon Wrapped Pork Chops
How to Cook Bacon Wrapped Asparagus in the Oven
Toss trimmed asparagus with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Wrap each bundle of asparagus (4 to 5 spears each) with 1 slice of bacon. Arrange in a single layer on an oven safe wire rack set inside a parchment lined, rimmed baking sheet. Bake in an oven preheated to 425˚F until asparagus is tender and bacon is crisp, 18-22 minutes. Serve.
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus in the Oven
- 6 strips bacon halved crosswise (see recipe note)
- 1 pound medium asparagus 20-30 spears
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Place an oven safe rack inside a parchment lined baking sheet (for easy cleanup).
- Place trimmed asparagus in a large bowl or on a second baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper; toss to coat evenly.
- Divide asparagus spears into 6 bunches of 4 to 5 spears. Starting about an inch below the tips, wrap each bundle with 1 slice of bacon, pressing or tucking under ends to secure and taking care to minimize areas where bacon overlaps. Arrange bacon wrapped asparagus bundles in a single layer on oven safe rack, leaving some space between each.
- Bake in preheated oven 18-22 minutes, until asparagus is tender and bacon is cooked to your liking. Serve.
- If you like your bacon really crispy, precook it as I do for my Bacon Wrapped Shrimp or be sure to use thinly sliced bacon.