Skillet Potatoes (also called Home Fries) are crispy on the outside, tender and creamy in the middle. They’re essential to the hearty breakfast plate and a welcome side dish for any meal! A simple parboil and shake technique before crisping in a cast iron skillet means using less oil, but achieving even better flavor and texture than standard fried potatoes.
To make these Skillet Potatoes, start with the same indispensable method for making Breakfast Potatoes: partially boil the raw potato cubes in salted water, drain and then shake the lidded pot like you mean it, until every cube is cloaked in fuzzy edges. Then instead of finishing in the oven, turn and flip them in a cast iron skillet coated in a veil of hot oil until every edge is perfectly crisp.
Not only does this cooking method save time, it minimizes the amount of oil needed for frying. And the initial salt water boil infuses the potatoes with a rich flavor and creamy texture that’s difficult to achieve when starting with raw potato cubes.
Because Skillet Potatoes are made entirely on the stove top, your oven is free for Breakfast Frittata, Baked Eggs or Breakfast Quiche if you’re making breakfast or brunch, Roasted Chicken or Crispy Chicken Thighs if you’re making dinner.
How to Make Skillet Potatoes
Step 1: Add raw diced potatoes to a saucepan and and just enough water to cover. Add a generous pinch of salt and bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 7-9 minutes, until tender on the outside but still firm in the middle.
Step 2: Drain out the boiling water. Cover saucepan with lid and, tightly grasping pan and lid with pot holders, shake until potatoes fuzzy (it’s those roughed up edges that make these so crispy!)
Step 3: Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes; spread into a single layer and let cook until one side is crispy. With a spatula, repeat this process until all sides are crispy. Carefully turn potatoes with a spatula, again spreading into a single layer and let crisp on the other side. Repeat process until skillet potatoes are crispy all over. Season to taste with kosher salt and serve.
Skillet Potatoes Recipe Video
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil or more
- kosher salt
- Add raw potato cubes to a large saucepan; pour in just enough water to cover them. Add a generous pinch of salt. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat slightly and simmer for 7-9 minutes, until potatoes are tender on the outside, but still firm in the center. With the lid, carefully strain out the water.
- Cover saucepan with lid and, with potholders on each hand, grip the sides of the saucepan, securing the lid. Shake vigorously. Check to see if the potatoes look fuzzy. If not, shake again.
- Add olive oil to a large, hot cast iron skillet set over medium heat. Add potatoes; with a spatula, gently spread into a single layer. Without stirring, allow potatoes to crisp on one side. Once crisp, turn with spatula and again spread into a single layer to crisp. Repeat process until potatoes are crisp on all sides, 15 to 20 minutes total.
- Remove potatoes from heat and season to taste with kosher salt. Serve.