The secret to the best Breakfast Potatoes is a quick boil and shake before roasting to crispy perfection. All of those crispy edges! Silky in the middle, buttery and crisp on the outside and so easy to make! Everyone needs a recipe for easy breakfast potatoes that taste amazing and this is my favorite. Try it once and I bet it will be yours too!
I never learn. When we’re at a restaurant and I see ‘breakfast potatoes’ on the menu, I always think, “Oh, that sounds so good.” Then they arrive and I’m usually disappointed. I want them to be piping hot, crispy on the outside and creamy in the middle, with a salt sting. It’s a lot to ask I know.
Full disclosure, I hadn’t had much success making breakfast potatoes myself either. But then a few years ago, I came across this recipe from Clotilde of Chocolate & Zucchini. She called the recipe Perfect Roasted Potatoes. She wasn’t exaggerating.
I’ve titled these breakfast potatoes, but they would be equally welcome on a dinner or lunch plate (just as these Cheesy Potatoes are – have you tried them?). Cut them into wedges and call them fries if you like. You can also use this technique to make Skillet Potatoes if you’d like to have your oven free.
This recipe is all about technique. It’s unusual, and kind of fun.
How to Make Breakfast Potatoes
Step 1 – Add diced potatoes to a saucepan and cover with just enough water to cover. Add a big pinch of salt and bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 7-9 minutes, until tender on the outside and firm in the middle.
Step 2 – Strain out the boiling water. Cover with the lid and shake until fuzzy (this is what makes them so crispy!)
Step 3 – Drizzle with a generous amount of olive oil and gently toss to coat.
Step 4 – Spread on a parchment lined baking sheet in a single layer, giving each potato cube room to crisp up. See how they look like a sloppy mess? But look at the next photo! The fuzzy edges attach to the potato cubes and make them extra crispy all the way around.
Step 5 – Bake until crispy on the outside and creamy in the middle. Devour!
Breakfast Potatoes Recipe Video
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil or more
- kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add raw potato cubes to a saucepan and pour in enough water just to cover them. Add a generous pinch of salt. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat slightly and simmer for 7-9 minutes, until potatoes are tender on the outside, but still firm in the center. With the lid, carefully strain out the water.
- Cover saucepan with lid and, with potholders on each hand, grip the sides of the saucepan, securing the lid. Shake several times. Check to see if the potatoes look fuzzy. If not, shake again.
- Add olive oil to potatoes and gently stir to coat. Pour potatoes onto prepared baking sheet and spread them into a single layer, do your best to give each piece of potato a little room.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until crispy on the outside and creamy in the middle. Season to taste with kosher salt and serve.