Breakfast Quiche is a decadent dish of custardy, cheesy eggs, tender leeks and smoky bacon baked in a flaky crust! Think of this as a basic quiche recipe, one that’s amiable to endless creativity. Don’t hesitate to swap in your favorite meat or cheese or skip the meat altogether for a vegetarian version.
In spring I crave light dishes: baby lettuce salads; simple soups, blanched asparagus, steamed artichokes. But I also crave substantial dishes, the kind that perch comfortably on the plate next to leafy salads and celebrate fleeting spring delicacies like tender leeks – this Breakfast Quiche recipe is just perfect.
A little wedge of this bacon and cheese quiche is my kind of spring comfort food. It’s decadent and satisfying and won’t derail my quest for comfort in the shorts and (gulp) swimming suits that the coming months demand.
How to Make Breakfast Quiche:
1. Cook leeks and bacon until leeks are tender and bacon is lightly crisp.
2. Whisk eggs, cream and milk together and season with salt and pepper. Stir in shredded cheese and bacon and leek mixture.
3. Pour egg mixture in to partially baked pie crust. Bake until golden in a 375°F oven.
4. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Breakfast Quiche Recipe Video
This simple bacon and cheese quiche with tender leeks is sure to become a dish you make every spring!
- 9 inch deep dish pie crust homemade or storebought
- 1/2 pound bacon cut crosswise into thin strips (lardons)
- 2 large leeks cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced into half rounds
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup whole milk or 2%
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme or 1/2 teaspoon fresh minced thyme
- 4 ounces Gruyère cheese shredded, or cheddar
Bake pie crust in 375°F oven for 10 minutes. Remove and set aside; leave oven on.
Meanwhile, book bacon and leeks in a large skillet until bacon is lightly crisp and leeks are tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together cream, milk, eggs, salt, pepper and thyme until smooth. Stir in cheese and bacon and leek mixture.
Pour egg mixture into partially baked pie crust and bake 40 minutes, or until the center is just set. Serve quiche warm or at room temperature.