Breakfast Quiche is a decadent dish of custardy, cheesy eggs, tender leeks and smoky bacon baked in a flaky crust! Think of this as a basic quiche recipe, one that’s amenable to endless creativity. Don’t hesitate to swap in your favorite meat or cheese or skip the meat altogether for a vegetarian version.
In spring I crave light dishes: baby lettuce salads; simple soups, blanched asparagus, steamed artichokes. But I also crave substantial dishes, the kind that perch comfortably on the plate next to leafy salads and celebrate fleeting spring delicacies like tender leeks – this Breakfast Quiche recipe is just perfect.
A little wedge of this bacon and cheese quiche is perfect for breakfast or brunch, but welcome as the main dish of any meal. It’s my kind of spring comfort food – decadent, satisfying and won’t derail my quest for comfort in the shorts and (gulp) swimming suits that the coming months demand.
- Swap in a different Swiss cheese. Jack cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, or parmesan cheese would also be delicious.
- If you can’t find leeks, swap in a large bunch of green onions.
- Use half and half in place of the heavy cream and milk mixture if that’s what you have on hand.
More of My favorite Breakfast REcipes
- Breakfast Frittata (Think of it as crustless quiche!)
- Breakfast Potatoes (An unusual method makes these extra crispy outside and buttery smooth on the inside!)
- Sweet Potato Hash Browns (Quick, easy and delicious – a breakfast trifecta!)
- Baked Eggs (Your less than 15 minutes away from enjoying these. Fantastic holiday breakfast!
How to Make Breakfast Quiche:
1. Cook leeks and bacon until leeks are tender and bacon is lightly crisp. Remove from heat.
2. Whisk eggs, cream and milk together and season with salt and pepper. Stir in shredded cheese and bacon and leek mixture.
3. Pour egg mixture into a partially baked pie crust. Bake until golden in a 375°F oven.
4. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Breakfast Quiche Recipe Video
- 9 inch deep dish uncooked pie crust homemade or store-bought
- 1/2 pound bacon cut crosswise into thin strips (lardons)
- 2 large leeks cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced into half rounds
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup whole milk or 2%
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme or 1/2 teaspoon fresh minced thyme
- 4 ounces Gruyère cheese shredded, or cheddar
- Place unbaked pie crust in deep dish pie plate; flute edges if desired. Bake pie crust in 375°F oven for 10 minutes. Remove and set aside; leave oven on.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon and leeks in a large skillet until bacon is lightly crisp and leeks are tender. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cream, milk, eggs, salt, pepper and thyme until smooth. Stir in cheese and bacon and leek mixture.
- Pour egg mixture into partially baked pie crust and bake 40 minutes, or until the center is just set. Serve quiche warm or at room temperature.