Have you ever considered making your own Broccoli Tots? I hadn’t, but it turns out they’re absolutely delicious and so easy to make. Perfect for a healthy snack or party food!
Think of it! A bite-sized version of one of my favorite no-recipe-required meals: a baked potato loaded up with an obscene amount of broccoli and shredded cheddar = Broccoli Tots!
It worked perfectly!
It was Stephanie’s post for Cheddar Cheese Broccoli Tots that got me to thinking about this. I’m still going to try Stephanie’s original recipe, because I don’t always want the bulk of potatoes.
Anyway, these are really easy to put together.
How to Make Broccoli Tots
Step 1: Blanch broccoli and then whirl in the food processor until it’s finely chopped. Parboil potato cubes and whirl them too in the food processor until finely chopped.
Step 2: Mix all of the recipe ingredients together in a big bowl. Scoop the mixture out on to a parchment lined baking sheet and shape them into little tots.
Step 3: Bake for 20 minutes at 400°F and then eat them hot!!
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 pound broccoli cut into florets
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add potato cubes to a medium saucepan and add enough water just to cover. Bring to boil; reduce heat slightly and leave at a low boil for 6 minutes. Transfer potatoes to a colander with a slotted spoon, reserving water. Rinse potatoes with cold water to slow their cooking.
- Add more water to saucepan, enough so that it will cover the broccoli, and return to stove. Bring to boil. Add broccoli and blanch one minute. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain thoroughly. Transfer to bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add chopped broccoli to medium bowl.
- Transfer par-boiled potato cubes to food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add to broccoli in bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients to broccoli potato mixture and carefully stir with a fork to combine.
- Using a mini ice cream scoop (like this one) or a teaspoon, scoop out 1 1/2 tablespoon portions onto prepared baking sheet. You'll be able to fit about 25 on one baking sheet, so this recipe will make two batches. Shape each portion into a little log.
- Bake 20 minutes, turning the baking sheet after 10 minutes.
- Enjoy hot!