My favorite Carne Asada Burrito recipe is simply a warmed tortilla slathered with creamy refried beans and topped with succulent slices of carne asada, jack cheese, buttery avocado, spicy pico de gallo, and rich sour cream (or Mexican crema). Carne Asada Burritos make a seriously satisfying meal and are a hearty and delicious way to feed a hungry group!
Carne Asada Burrito
There are a couple of things I love about Carne Asada Burritos and Carne Asada Tacos, beyond the fact that I love to eat them! One, they stretch the steak, which tends to be the expensive part of the meal, without compromising flavor. Two, they’re such a versatile crowd pleaser – serve tortillas and toppings family style and let everyone assemble their own exactly the way they like it. A fun and festive meal with the bonus of being less work for the hosts!
Carne Asada Burrito FAQs
In Mexico, it’s not uncommon to find burritos made with just refried beans and meat wrapped in a flour tortilla. But here in the US, they vary widely and are often loaded with ingredients like: Spanish or regular rice, lettuce, salsa, cheese, guacamole, sour cream, grilled onions, etc. Some even include French fries, like the ‘mythical’ California Burrito.
I have to admit that rice (or Spanish rice) is the one ingredient that I avoid when ordering a burrito. To me it just seems like filler and distracts from the burrito’s superstar ingredients, i.e., everything else! I may be in the minority on this since it’s such a common component, so feel free to add it here. And if you’re serving these to a group, it doesn’t hurt to have rice available as a topping (I typically do).
To wrap a burrito: layer the bottom center of a large flour tortilla with your desired ingredients, leaving a generous border on all sides and taking care not to overstuff. Fold the edge of the tortilla nearest you over the filling, using your fingers to enclose the filling. Fold tortilla edges toward the center and continue rolling until you have a tightly wrapped cylinder.
You can assemble Carne Asada Burritos with steak fresh off of the grill, but it’s also a great way to use up leftover steak if you’re lucky enough to have it (Carne Asada Nachos are another great way!). Quickly heat thin slices of leftover carne asada in a pan on the stovetop and proceed with the recipe.
How to Make a Carne Asada Burrito
Step 1: Warm large flour tortillas on the grill or in a dry pan on the stove top. To the bottom center of the tortilla spread on refried beans then top with slices of carne asada, avocado slices, shredded cheese, pico de gallo and sour cream.
Step 2: Wrap bottom side of tortilla over filling, fold in sides and continue rolling into a tight cylinder. Serve.
Carne Asada Burrito
For the Carne Asada tacos
- 1 recipe Carne Asada
- 6 large flour tortillas
- Prepare Carne Asada according to this recipe.
- In a dry pan on the stove top or on a hot grill, warm tortillas about 30 seconds per side. Transfer to platter and cover with foil to keep warm.
- To assemble a burrito, spread refried beans on the bottom center of a tortilla. Top with 1/6 of the Carne Asada, cheese, avocado slices, Pico de Gallo, sour cream and hot sauce (optional). Fold bottom side of tortilla over toppings and gently pull back to shape filling. Fold up both sides of tortilla toward the center and tightly roll into a cylinder. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Alternatively, serve warmed tortillas with thinly sliced Carne Asada and individual toppings family-style letting everyone assemble their own burritos.
- When serving these to a group, you may want to have plain or Spanish rice / Mexican rice available as a topping.
- If you’re assembling burritos ahead of eating them, wrap in foil to keep warm.