It’s not that I mind eating the occasional deep fried food. Who doesn’t love french fries? I just don’t enjoy deep frying in my own kitchen; it’s too messy, too smelly, and then there’s disposing of the oil. Because of this aversion, I assumed that buffalo wings were only something to be ordered out.
But I’ve been enlightened; it’s possible to make super crispy, utterly delicious chicken wings in your oven!
My friend Nagi posted these Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Wings with Honey Garlic Sauce (I made that sauce btw, and you have to try it. It’s awesome!). Then I came across Stephanie’s Crispy Oven Sriracha Buffalo Wings. They were both using a technique from the America’s Test Kitchen Meat Book; they coated the wings with baking powder before baking and, like magic, the wings came out crispy! I had to try it.
But I have to make a confession.
The first time I made these they were HORRIBLE. It wasn’t until the next morning when I awoke with an awful taste in my mouth that I took another look at the recipe and realized that I’d used baking soda not baking powder. Whoops! Do not make the same mistake.
After the baking soda flavor left my mouth, which was no less than a week, I decided to give the recipe another try. And, friends, it’s the real deal. These wings are crispy on the outside; tender and flavorful on the inside.
(For more spicy goodness, be sure to check out these TRULY Crispy Baked Buffalo Chicken Tenders – they’re amazing!)
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 pounds chicken wings drumettes and flats separated (look for 'party wings' at the grocery store)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup hot sauce such as Cholula Original
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbled
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup sour cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Adjust oven racks so that one rack is in the upper-middle and one is in the lower-middle.
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Set an oven-safe wire rack into a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the baking powder and salt.
- Pat chicken drumettes and flats dry with paper towels. Add to bowl with baking powder mixture and toss to coat evenly. Arrange in a single layer on rack in baking sheet. Bake on lower-middle rack for 30 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 425°F and move baking sheet to upper middle rack. Bake for 25 minutes. Rotate rack, front to back, and bake 25 minutes more until golden brown.
- Meanwhile prepare buffalo sauce. Heat butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. When butter begins to melt, add minced garlic and stir. Cook and stir until butter is fully melted and garlic is fragrant; remove from heat. Whisk in hot sauce until smooth.
- When wings are golden brown and crispy, remove them from oven and allow to rest on rack for 5 minutes. Then place wings in a large bowl and pour warm buffalo sauce over; gently stir to coat evenly. Transfer coated wings to platter and serve.
- Add blue cheese, garlic and sour cream to a medium bowl. Using the back of a fork, smash blue cheese crumbles into sour cream until flavors have melded. Stir. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Voile!