If you’re a regular reader here, I bet you’ve noticed Dorothy. You’d know her by the entertaining and insightful comments she leaves.
Just about a year ago, she left a comment on my Mexican Corn on the Cob post. But this comment included a recipe to try and I FINALLY got around to it.
Why did I wait so long?
I debated with myself (a favorite activity of mine 🙂 ) about whether to call this a ‘salad’ or a ‘cocktail’. We had it as a starter salad, thus the plate. But it would also be festive to serve it piled into martini glasses (as you might with Crab Salad). And that way, the recipe would serve more people. Because, you know, crab. At least here it’s about $40 a pound.
This is the perfect partner to anything you’ll be grilling this summer. It’s a combination of three buttery-in-their-own-way ingredients: shrimp, crab, avocado – tossed in a light and spicy tomato based dressing.
Thanks for a winner of a recipe, Dorothy! I love that you’re here…xo
Dorothy's Shrimp Crab and Avocado Salad
- 1-1/2 cups spicy tomato juice such as V8 or R.W. Knudsen Very Veggie Spicy
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice about 2 limes
- generous pinch of salt
- hot pepper sauce to taste, such as Tabasco or Cholula
- 2 medium shallots finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/2 pound fresh crab meat
- 1/2 pound cooked shrimp preferably with tail in tact (just because they're pretty 🙂 )
- In a medium bowl whisk together tomato juice, ketchup, lime juice and salt. Season to taste with hot pepper sauce to taste. Stir in shallots and cilantro.
- Gently fold avocado, crab and shrimp into tomato juice mixture.
- Divide between 4 plates and serve.