Farro and Borlotti Bean Soup with Garlic Croutons
For the garlic croutons:
- 2 slices thick bread crusts removed, I used whole wheat sourdough
- 1 clove garlic halved lengthwise
- olive oil
For the soup:
- 2 slices bacon diced
- olive oil
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 celery rib finely chopped
- 2 cups cooked borlotti (cranberry) beans
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup farro or spelt berries
- 2 1/2 cups water
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- extra virgin olive oil
- To make the croutons:
- Preheat the oven to 300°.
- Rub the bread slices on both sides with the garlic halves.
- Cut bread into 1/2 to 1-inch cubed. Spread in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Drizzle generously with olive oil and add a light sprinkle of salt. Bake 15 minutes, stir; bake 15 minutes more. Remove from oven and reserve.
To make the soup:
- Heat a medium soup pot over medium heat. Add bacon; cook and stir until bacon is crisp and fat is rendered.
- If there isn’t much fat; add a swirl of olive oil. Add carrot, onion, celery and a small pinch of salt; cook and stir until onion is translucent – about 3 minutes.
- Add borlotti (or cranberry) beans and stir to coat. Add tomato sauce; stir to combine. Add the farro or spelt and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to low and add water. Simmer on low for 1 1/2 hours.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Sprinkle croutons on top of soup; drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Serve.